Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Review by Dawn414

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Review by Dawn414
Enchantment of the Seas
Enchantment of the Seas
Member Name: Dawn414
Cruise Date: August 2012
Embarkation: Baltimore
Destination: Bermuda
Cabin Category: F
See More About: Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Bermuda Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
        7-9 2.0

Bermuda 2012 Enchantment of the Seas
Bermuda 2012 -- Enchantment of the Seas (August 17----6 night)

Here is my view of our trip...hope you enjoy.

Day 1 -- Embarkation

Pretty smooth. We arrived early at the port and were the 4th car in line. So awesome to be able to drive to the port like that (we live in NJ). With the exception of the passport scanner at the terminal we chose not working...all went smoothly. We were on board by noon.

We were delayed getting out of Baltimore. Not sure why really, but didn't impact us all that much.

Thought the sail away party was pretty lame, but my son had fun dancing so I guess that's cool.

Cabin -- we had a 'window' cabin on the Deck 4. The location was AWESOME. We were right by the stairs in the front of the ship and near almost everything we wanted to be near. The beds were together, but we had them taken apart to make it easier to maneuver when the bunks were down for the kids. Would have liked a little bit more storage, but actually found there were little 'hidey' places so we managed okay. The only downside was the shower. Anyone of any girth would have found it very cramped. The fact that there was a decent sized medicine cabinet was great! Would have been nice if we had one of the 'newer' tv's...but not really a big deal.

Contraband...apparently there is a rule? (who knew) about bringing water on board. I had to go get my suitcase from security. It was marked as 'liquor'. I had 10 bottles of water with me. I am not cheap and have bought water on board before, but I don't really like Evian and we drove so I brought my own. They weren't going to let me take it . I offered to open all 10 so they could see they were sealed. Then they said I could take 3 bottles. I politely stated the sign said no beer, liquor, wine ... didn't say anything about water...and that there were 4 of us in the cabin so 3 x 4 is 12 which means I should be able to take it all. They relented.

Day 2 -- At sea

Sun, sun and more sun along with the kids swimming. I looked at watches and saw a couple I liked. (Watches are my thing). Went for the $60 versus the $500 watch. ? We didn't purchase any excursions. We wanted to do more than the excursions allowed for...not to mention I didn't like how much they cost. I purchased a 1 day bus/ferry pass for all of us. Was sort of annoyed that I went down to the Excursion desk RIGHT when they announced they had a limited number of passes and when I got there, they didn't even have them yet. OOOOKKKK. On the plus side, when I went back, he had them in an envelope for me. OK...better. Overall, a nice relaxing day...

Day 3 -- At sea / Bermuda

We didn't get to Bermuda until 3 or so and got off the ship around 3:30. We went to the Maritime museum. A lot of historical things which my husband loves. Some very cool picture opportunities. Also...our anniversary. We ate at Chops Grille and had a very nice meal. I wasn't thrilled that I had to pay for that when I booked it, but I supposed it's nice to NOT see it on your end of cruise check...lol. I was also surprised that there weren't that many people IN Chops.

Day 4 -- Bermuda

JAM PACKED DAY. As I mentioned, I didn't book any excursions because I wanted to hit a lot of different things. We took a ferry up to Hamilton and then a bus to the Crystal and Fantasy Caves...very cool...would definitely recommend unless you have an issue with stairs. Our Tour Guide for the Fantasy Caves (Ron) was a hoot! From there, we took a bus up to St. George. We sort of went awry walking to St. Catherine's Fort, but managed to find it. It was REALLY hot and it seemed like EVERYTHING we walked to was up hill. But that too, was very cool. I'm not big on the 'history' of things, but I do like the facades, the views of the beach from the forts, etc. From there, we had a quick lunch and then took the ferry back to King's Wharf where we immediately hopped on a bus to Horseshoe Bay to snorkel and see our pink sand. We had serious bus mojo going on...we didn't wait for more then 2-3 minutes for a bus. The beach at Horseshoe Bay was GORGEOUS! The sand was so soft...even walking into the water. We didn't stay too long because there was going to be a delay in busses and I didn't want to wait the extra time. When we got back, my husband went to the Frog & Onion Pub to get a Dark and Stormy (apparently a favorite there) and the kids and I walked over to the Clock Tower Mall. Wasn't really impressed, but the building is still cool.

Day 5 -- Bermuda / At Sea

Bummer of a 11:30 boarding time, but my daughter and I still got off to go to Snorkel Park for a bit...Surprised that I had to pay to get on the beach (for me...not her). Beach not nearly as nice, but we did see a few neat fish in the water and she enjoyed it. We walked over to the glass factory and saw them making things. Very cool...but quite costly. We went to the Rum Cake factory and got a chocolate rum cake (YUM).

Day 6 -- At Sea

Rain, wind, rain and more rain. On the plus side, it did allow for us to do SHOPPING and do/see a couple of the activities they had on board. We watched the cake decorating competition between the captain and the Restaurant Manager. HYSTERICAL is all I can say about that. I was laughing so hard, I was crying! We also got to see my daughter in the kids' talent show. Very cool that they give medals to everyone who participates and she really enjoyed it. My son wanted to see the cake decorating so he didn't get to participate in that. They had these glass figurine things that were pretty cool...and cheap! AT $6 each...we got a few. But it was like Black Friday at the mall with the hounds trying to grab at them. Good grief! This is what happens when it rains! LOL The final show was pretty funny. The kids were laughing very hard during most of it. The last show of the cruise (in the centrum) was awesome too...70s show...both of my kids got called up to dance and we all got in on it. Fun times!

Day 7 -- Getting off the ship

Got up 'normal' time and had breakfast at Windjammers. Then we went to wait in one of the lounges to wait for our number to be called. Just killed time reading. Once they called our number we were out pretty quickly (off the ship by 9a).

OTHER SUMMRY

The shows -- Didn't get to see all of them because of the varying times (a little consistency would have been nice). My kids don't stay up that late so taking them to a show that starts at 10:15 is tough. The ones we did see were pretty good. They had the 'voice of Happy Days" on ... he was entertaining, but a little too pompous for my tastes. The cruise director (John) did a very good job of hyping up the crowd. He even participated in the end of cruise good-bye show (as one of the Village People) and got whipped cream and a cherry on his head at the cake decorating contest between the captain and Restaurant Manager (hysterical).

Windjammers -- I had absolutely no issue with the food in Windjammers. In fact, I thought some of the desserts (the oatmeal cookies, the coconut cookes and the raspberry parfait (something or other) was REALLY REALLY GOOD. I really liked the fact that they had pasta every day and also rice that I could put the beef stew or the chicken/sausage gumbo stew over. My son LOVED the ribs. Quite yummy.

My Fair Lady -- we were at a table for 8...met another very nice family with two girls just a little bit older than my two (twins-9)...very enjoyable...lots to talk about. The food was decent, but I actually preferred the desserts at Windjammers over MFL, but the great thing is that you can choose more than one appetizer or dessert or even entree if you don't like it and they oblige with no problem! The strawberry bisque was awesome, the Caesar salad good too. Easy enough to find something you like. Our servers (Irene and Rafael) were very nice and very attentive to our kids (which is a huge plus for me).

Kids' club -- this is actually probably my biggest dislike. While the kids has ZERO complaints, I didn't like the fact that I had to pay if I wanted them to be there from 12-2p and also they couldn't be there at all from 5-7 which would have been great for us since our dinner wasn't until 8:30p. It didn't affect us, but we would have also had to pay after 10p which seems a little silly.

Activities -- Plenty to choose from to be sure and unfortunately not enough time in the day to do all of them. The last day it was raining and they did add a movie which was nice. I participated in the slot tournament and well...didn't win. LOL. Also a bummer that the weather negatively impacted our ability to do the rock climbing and we had to go back multiple times to get in the trampoline (mostly too windy).

Overall we had a really nice time...I try to go in with a 'no worries' type of attitude so even the things that annoyed me, I tried to let go almost immediately. So, no major complaints and even booked Alaska for next year. I hope I can take the cold weather! LOL

Publication Date: 08/27/12