Bahamas Celebration Cruise Review by alxpro

Cabin Category: 5
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Rates 5+

Pleasantly surprised
Having cruised with RCCL, we were not expecting a lot from this cruise to Freeport..we just wanted to get away & celebrate our 1 yr. anniversary. We were pleasantly surprised. The ship is older, but you can't tell from the inside. It is beautiful. Though a lot smaller ship than our previous cruise, it is well taken care of and very very clean. The staff is very courteous, and diligent in their jobs. The Crystal Room for our first night dinner was excellent. We had the prime rib, which I thought was very tasty. My husband didn't care for his though. Our room was very small, but it was sparkling clean, the sheets soft, with a fresh laundered scent. The shower was excellent, and much bigger than our shower on Freedom of the Seas. Good water pressure. We decided on Paradise Cove for our day in Freeport, which we booked on our own. It was truly paradise there. Only us and 1 other couple, it was quiet and serene. Our driver, Maurice gave us a nice informative tour on our 25 minute drive in air conditioned van. Bring bug spray as the no-see-ums were dreadful. Also, you want to snorkel there at high tide..much better in high tide. We stayed all day and the low tide snorkeling was not as good. The reef there is undisturbed and natural, teeming with tropical fish, lobster, rays, turtles, barracuda, and coral in every color of the rainbow. It was just spectacular in high tide. The staff at Paradse is good, the food excellent with freshly made to order frozen cocktails if you please. Maurice drove us back at the 2:30 time slot, and took a different route to show us more of the island. It was a great day. Back on the ship we chose Rio for dinner Sunday night. I chose Salmon, Steven chose Beef Wellington..both were fantastic. The food on board this ship was 100% better than the food on Freedom..no lie. We saw the variety show in the beautiful disco THE VIEW afterwards. The magician was great, as we're the juggler, the contortionist and comedian. Great fun, lot of laughs.

The Pub is great for an after dinner drink and the husband & wife entertainment was not bad. The casino is beautiful inside, but being in the front of the ship, I felt the rocking too much & couldn't stay in there. This is a smaller ship, so if you are prone to seasickness, as I am, take precautions. We both slept like babies on board, but the second night the ship swayed significantly, and woke me up several times during the night. I didn't get sick though, but I stayed in bed also. I don't know why it was so rough, the weather was gorgeous. Maybe just the seas back to the US.

Rio is casual dress, but keep in mind that Crystal is dressier..no shorts.

All in all it was a fantastic weekend aboard the Celebration. Freeport was awesome, the staff was great, and our room was kept spotless by our Steward, Joshua. Our clothes were folded, we always had ice, our shoes lined up, our bed sheets cleaned and turned down whenever we went in.

Don't bother bringing anything you have to plug in because the outlets are European. You can ask your Steward for a hair dryer, culling iron, but all the plugs on this ship are NOT standard ACDC plugs, so you can't charge your phone, IPAD, or computer. Just leave all that stuff home and enjoy being away for a change. It was refreshing not being tied to my IPAD AND IPHONE for a change.

Our rating for this cruise: 5+ overall. Look on Groupon for cheap deals for this cruise, but staying in Our Lakaya is not allowed with Groupon. The lines for people staying on the Island for days was super long, while we were able to get off and on with no lines for just visiting for the day. don't forget your passports, but I was never required to show my drivers license. Valet parking only, and get there by noon cuz it takes a while to get your car parked. Ship sailed at 6pm. Lots to do, and not to do. We didn't use the pool. It's above ground, and tiny. Hope this was helpful!!

Publication Date: 05/22/12
Read the Bahamas ports review by alxpro
More Bahamas Celebration Cruise Reviews