Norwegian Star Cruise Review by Chiefly

Member Name: Chiefly
Cruise Date: April 2012
Embarkation: Tampa
Cabin Category: BA
See More About: Norwegian Star Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
        10-12 2.0
        13-15 2.0

NCL Star April 2012
Not real impressed with my April 1-8, 2012 NCL Star cruise. I admit the week was Easter and the ship was booked to capacity or beyond; but the effort seemed more geared at getting every dollar from me on extras than giving me what I paid for.

The first day at sea required me to eat breakfast sitting on the steps by elevator. I carried a plate of food round and round looking for a place to sit and even all around the pool area. I dumped the cold food and started over and set on the steps.

On shore days it was a little easier to get a seat at the breakfast buffet but there were no water glasses or coffee cups at the buffet when I went through. NCL had 4 workers dedicated to trying to get everyone to buy water for shore excursions while there were no cups or glasses available at the buffet.

On at sea days there were no chairs around the deck available. My grandchildren and wife had to lie on the deck on towels and I would estimate about 50 people were doing the same.

I thought the food was good and plentiful but there just was not enough seating to handle everyone. If you wanted to guarantee a place to eat, you needed to go to the extra cost restaurants.

I also think it is a rip that we all had soft drink stickers but still needed to pay for water around the pool.

The mixed drinks were quite expensive for the quality. I got a rum and cola one time that I am sure was whiskey instead of rum. The rum punches were a different mixture each time I got one. I am not much of a beer drinker but I switched to beer because at least you would get a consistent product. Beer drinkers were hit hard as one bottle price would almost buy a six pack on shore.

My grandchildren are 12 and 14 and they did not find anything to interest them at the children / teens activities. There was a game room for extra fees but the games were so outdated that my grandchildren just laughed when we walked into the game room.

Pools are way too small for the amount of people using them.

I had two rooms and the room make up service was the only thing that was always top notch. My balcony room was great, my inside room across the hall had a slight sewage smell in the bathroom.

I have taken the same week in Punta Cana for two thousand less than what this cruise cost.

I would only recommend this ship if you knew it was only booked to 80 percent of capacity.

Publication Date: 04/23/12