“NCL Star April 2012”

Member Since 2012
No Forum Posts
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
Not real impressed with my April 1-8, 2012 NCL Star cruise. I admit the week was Easter and the ship was booked to capacity or beyond; but the effort seemed more geared at getting every dollar from me on extras than giving me what I paid for. The first day at sea required me to eat breakfast sitting on the steps by elevator. I carried a plate of food round and round looking for a place to sit and even all around the pool area. I dumped the cold food and started over and set on the steps. On shore days it was a little easier to get a seat at the breakfast buffet but there were no water glasses or coffee cups at the buffet when I went through. NCL had 4 workers dedicated to trying to get everyone to buy water for shore excursions while there were no cups or glasses available at the buffet. On at sea days there were no chairs around the deck available. My grandchildren and wife had to lie on the deck on towels and I would estimate about 50 people were doing the same. I thought the food was good and plentiful but there just was not enough seating to handle everyone. If you wanted to guarantee a place to eat, you needed to go to the extra cost restaurants. I also think it is a rip that we all had soft drink stickers but still needed to pay for water around the pool. The mixed drinks were quite expensive for the quality. I got a rum and cola one time that I am sure was whiskey instead of rum. The rum punches were a different mixture each time I got one. I am not much of a beer drinker but I switched to beer because at least you would get a consistent product. Beer drinkers were hit hard as one bottle price would almost buy a six pack on shore. My grandchildren are 12 and 14 and they did not find anything to interest them at the children / teens activities. There was a game room for extra fees but the games were so outdated that my grandchildren just laughed when we walked into the game room. Pools are way too small for the amount of people using them. I had two rooms and the room make up service was the only thing that was always top notch. My balcony room was great, my inside room across the hall had a slight sewage smell in the bathroom. I have taken the same week in Punta Cana for two thousand less than what this cruise cost. I would only recommend this ship if you knew it was only booked to 80 percent of capacity.
Norwegian Star Cruises to the Western Caribbean
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Mid-Ship Balcony

BA10588
10588 Balcony. Very nice and as advertised. 10587 Inside. OK but bathroom had a slight sewage smell.

Shopping was safe and interesting. The tender trip was easy to board. Not much to do in Belize City unless you take a NCL bus trip an hour away at a pretty high price.
Read 2,064 Belize City Reviews
Beach Break
Easy ride on a bus. A little further of a ride than I expected at about 40 minutes. The beach set up was just like a Caribbean resort. Plenty of lounge chairs and enough shade for those wanting. Drinks were included in price, food was not. The food was good and very reasonable in price with most items at $5. Clean rest rooms and reasonable shopping.
Dolphin Swim & Encounter
Excellent trip and much cheaper booking directly through the operator. Review the web site carefully as there are several price structures and some discounts that are not clearly shown. Very easy to just get a taxi for a flat fee to the Dolphin area at Chankanaab. Nice food plaza. Great restrooms and changing area. Only dislike was that you are forced to walk the entire shopping area when you get off ship to get to the end where the taxi is. It is like Vegas where you are forced to walk through the casino to get anywhere in hotel.
Port
Took a last minute tour with Victor Bodden and it was great. Only $25 a person. Very safe and certainly cheaper than NCL offerings.
Read 2,211 Roatan Reviews
Published 04/23/12
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Norwegian Star Review
Norwegian Star Cruises to the Western Caribbean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?