Norwegian Star Cruise Review by Jesse88: Good Cruise Overall But We Didn't Get Our Money's Worth

Norwegian Star 4
Member Since 2010
41 Forum Posts

Overall Member Rating

Good Cruise Overall But We Didn't Get Our Money's Worth

Sail Date: April 2012
Embarkation: Tampa

Embarking on the Star was smooth and efficient as always with Norwegian. I found myself comparing the Star to the Gem, a newer ship, and was a little disappointed at some areas that seemed "rough" and need of attention. After the first couple of days, I didn't notice it any more and it wasn't an issue.

The food was great, as was the staff. Our cabin was clean and comfortable, though we couldn't enjoy our balcony because the people next to us were chain-smokers. Wish there was something NCL could do about that (set aside a non-smoking section of the ship?) We enjoyed the various stops, (Costa Maya was a favorite) but did feel rather unsafe in Belize City. Next time we will make it a point to go outside the city.

A huge issue for my husband and myself was the nightly shows. Since we're not song-and-dance lovers, we didn't care for them, though we loved Second City. We enjoyed the entertainment on the Gem sooo much more. But that wasn't the real problem. The More problem was the volume. It was absolutely ear-splitting. Even with ear plugs, my husband and I left one of the shows with our ears ringing. There is absolutely no reason why it had to be that loud. It was the same problem with the band at the pool. We couldn't stay without fear of damaging our ears. Between the balcony issue and the volume of the entertainment, we don't feel we got our money's worth this time. We will be checking out some other lines for a comparison. Less

Published 04/24/12

Read more Norwegian Star cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Star Review >>

Compare Prices on Norwegian Star Western Caribbean Cruises

Cabin review: BA Mid-Ship Balcony

Cabins are small, as would be expected, but with plenty of storage. It was a comfortable room, but we could not enjoy the balcony because of smokers next to us. This has happened on all but one of our NCL cruises. We don't get what we pay for with a balcony, yet we enjoyed it so much on the few occasions when we could use it. NCL needs to address this problem. Non-smokers should not have to limit the use of property they paid for because their smoke can't be confined to their area. They should be required to smoke only in their rooms.

Read All Mid-Ship Balcony (BA) Reviews >>
Member Since 2010
41 Forum Posts
Family & Children
Value for Money
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?
Skip X