We chose to cruise on the Braemar for our first ever cruise as the dates suited, we loiked the idea of no flying and I thought the weather would be kind!!!

Embarkation at Dover was a breeze, as suite customers we walked straight into lunch in the Thistle restaurant then up to our suite. Loved 7043, the suite is L shaped and you can partition off the sleeping area with a curtain. Large balcony and being mid to rear seemed well placed. Lots of wardrobe space. Bathroom small but excellent shower and efficient loo! Friends had 7010 which was lovely and bright but just one room and their balcony was smaller. They were very near the front of the ship and you could feel the difference.

As other posts say the first three days were rough! We did not realise how bad it was until more seasoned travellers and the crew put us right. Our friend was very poorly. At this time I thought the ship was really spacious but soon realised everyone was in bed!

Gym small but good equipment.

when we finally got to dry land it rained, the first week was a washout but the second week was lovely and I can see why people cruise.The sailaways were great but short and a free drink would not have gone amiss!

The Braemar is a lovely ship, small but we liked that. We ate in the Grampian restaurant, 2nd sitting and were very impressed with the quality of the food and the service. Drinks reasonably priced too

Entertainment was good, resident band and show company were excellent but by the end of the fortnight had heard some of the songs a few too many times...Knock three times anyone? I am nearly 50 and I doubt if there were ten people younger than me on the cruise so maybe the entertainment was set accordingly. We won a few bottles of fizz at the evening quizzes, there was a lot going on during the day as well but this seemed geared for the older element.

The mobility of a lot of passengers was impaired - this was not a problem for us but there was always a queue for the lifts. In an emergency people would not be able to get out. We ended up helping quite a few people up and down steps etc as well.

We explored the ports independently but friends did the tours and thought they were good.

Will definitely cruise again but not for a while...would love to do the Fjords and cruisers I know say this is Fred's forte

Sailing the high seas

Braemar Cruise Review by Alibobs

• Sail Date: October 2010
  • Destination: Canary Islands
  • Cabin Type: Balcony Suite

Gym small but good equipment.

Alibobs’s Full Rating Summary
Rates

Balcony Suite
Cabin BS 7043
Great suite, L shaped so can separate the bedroom from the sitting area. Balcony spacious with loungers and table/chairs. Quiet, only noise was about 6pm when the sunbeds on Deck 8 were being put away
  Braemar Deck Plans