3. Magellan
Ship in general was a reasonable size. Very Clean. Rooms were spacious. Enough room for everything. The staff was fantastic ! We had Alex and Avetik in the dining room ( they were awesome – great recommendations and super kind ) and TUN was a great room steward. The food. Supper was very well presented. My husband liked the cream soups. I liked most if not all the appetizers. We were very lucky to be there for a special Halloween Gala. The food was more than lovely and the Entertainment was great on this night as well. The pools and outdoor areas were really not open. It was chilly and rained most days. The ports of call I really liked. We came from Canada and had travelled specifically for this cruise- it took a bit of time and we loaded at Dublin. I am now a HUGE IRISH fan. The people. The Food. Everything. The port – well – it is a busy industrial port. Not really meant for a cruise ship but all the same Embarkation went well. We were early for Embarkation and in pouring rain and they let us on the boat before our time. We decided to press a couple pairs of pants prior formal night and had not realized there were no irons aboard for safety reasons. So on the ship we headed up to the lunch buffet. Which I liked – Super busy though. Very difficult to find seats as there was no outdoor sitting area and meals were at set times. Breakfast was difficult. The orange juice and the apple juice seemed either highly diluted or perhaps powdered tang. It was best to take water. Coffee was good. Very good. The scrambled eggs were a pale pink – every day. I thought maybe it was an Irish thing – but NO – we had breakfast in Ireland several times after and did not have pink eggs. There was a very likeable fellow manning the omelette station and he was busy doing eggs over easy and poached as well. So that was a lifesaver. The Sausages – too large and most were not cooked thru. The bacon is a different than in north America and is not crispy. The muffins were plain white – no bran or flavors. Breakfast was not my favorite meal. The staff were great on the buffet as well. Lunch was good with a carvery , a curry and a couple of traditional British dishes. The Waldorf helped the buffet by basically doing a copy cat of the menu and there was always space there. We only made it to the tea once and it was fine. Tea biscuits and jam, sandwiches a bit soggy but in general okay. The Shore Excursion was a bit of a muss up for us as we had booked the Paris Trip from Rouen and it was booked about six weeks prior but our name was not on the list. We were on the waiting list and it did not look good until the last minute. Very thankful for this as we had travelled quite a way and my husband had never seen Paris. So as far as Excursions at others ports we went on our own. At Liverpool Day 1 – we walked to the St. James train station and took the train to Chester. It was awesome despite the rain. We walked the wall, watched buskers and generally loved it. With the rain – trains were delayed getting back however but we made it back for supper. On day 2 in Liverpool we took another train on Mersey Rail to New Brighton – and walked the water promenade. The waves were crashing with the wind and it was great. Gorgeous well kept town. We then jumped on a Hop On Hop Off bus – we had pre-booked with Expedia. It was a very interesting city and the guide was excellent. Loved this. We did not Hop back on and were tired and headed back. Thankfully the next day was at sea. There was not a lot going on and we rested. The next day we arrived at Rouen – and took the Paris tour. It was very good – more rain. Interesting guide. Should have driven by Versailles really. This cruise has quite an elderly clientele and a high percentage are not mobile for various reasons. It was difficult for disabled persons to get on and off the ship/bus . It held up others and there is general worry that someone will get hurt. We are late 50’s but are very mobile and walk several kilometers a day but this is not the norm here. I would have enjoyed dancing many nights but the ship does not have a disco or really any modern dance music. I would have also liked more physical fitness activities like yoga in the morning or stretch or zumba classes- but only 3 days had a 9 PM class and we missed them. At Honfleur – it was a quick walk into town. We decided to hike up to the top of Mont Joli. It was steep but fine. Coming down it was a walking path. Gorgeous views from up there. Loved this town – at least 4 very interesting churches, a market and a lovely park by the water. The River Seine itself was interesting . I had no idea there was that amount of industry in France. They are making windmills and manufacturing tiles and exports in the extreme. Their economy appears robust. Another day at sea with a wonderful Gala dinner with our fantastic Irish friends. We are won over. Stayed a few extra days to see the gorgeous Irish countryside and seaside. What a great country and such a sad past.

Ups and Downs - but more Ups

Magellan Cruise Review by rdiamond1

Thankfully the next day was at sea. There was not a lot going on and we rested.

rdiamond1’s Full Rating Summary
Get Cruise & Maritime Voyages Magellan price drops

We paid for CMV Value package # 1 which included the tips and a possible room upgrade but the ship was full and this is where we were. It was fine and we tried to use the stairs as much as possible