L'Austral Cruise Review by SuzeG
- Sail Date: February 2019
- Destination: Antarctica
• The ship was a small luxurious one and I took into observation myself on what was available and what was limited especially regarding the trip to Antarctica.
• The restaurant staff were very efficient and worked well under pressure at times (special occasions such as gala nights) while keeping great composure.
• I was more drawn to the A La Carte and found the food to be very delicious along with a variety of specialties.
• The drinks service at the bar was great.
• The entertainment was good for being a small luxury ship and I considered that it wasn’t a party ship, but more of an intimate one as why I decided on a small luxury ship.
• The cabin room had a balcony and it was very lovely and cosy with great space and storage.
• The room service was great and the steward, she was very lovely.
• The zodiac expeditions were very well organised and supervised by the Officer/s and crew who were very safety conscious and were never hesitant to take anything into consideration.
• The Expedition Leader/ Naturalist (one in particular) were very well experienced and very knowledgeable and the lectures given were presented very well and were interesting. Engaging would be the word due to their passion.
• I observed some customers giving some staff a hard time at the reception regarding “their concerns/expectations” of which I saw was well handled and sorted with great communication and expedience.
• Any feedback was also taken into consideration and handled diligently and implemented.
• The Captain and Expedition Leader both delivered on an amazing substituted trip in place of an expedition trip on one of the days we were not able to get to a destination due to weather and an ice blockage however this idea was a phenomenal one along with being in the right place to see whale activity much closer.
Three Things To Consider
• Single Supplementary Charges make it less flexible along with less journeys/experience to go on than I would like to have;
• The cooked bacon could be improved; and
• Regarding kids maybe more involvement interaction as they are the future however, I did see the Expedition Leader do his best with what he had and could do.
It was the first time I had experienced a cruise, taken three flights within 24/48hrs experiencing jet lag for the first time along with travelling alone to areas with little language experience. The trip was perfect along with the weather and this was not “the Norm” every time so I got a special trip. I have lots of photos, lost of memories and I went on the trip with no expectations and instead it was just about enjoying the moments. Thank you to all who made my trip a great one and I will definitely be back for more.
250,000+ people have entered their email