Costa Magica Cruise Review

Costa Magica Cruise Review by RJBJean

• Sail Date: Jan 2019
  • Destination: the Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Balcony Classic

We chose this cruise to join some friends on a vacation and the ship went to islands we had never been to before. This is the first time on a Costa cruise. I had read previous reviews about pushy people, etc., but we found all co-cruisers were good mannered people all enjoying vacation. The food was quite good at the evening dinner and buffets at breakfast and lunch. The entertainment overall okay but it was mostly too loud on the 5th floor dance area and in some of the lounges, one could hardly talk to someone sitting beside them and once it actually hurt my ears just walking through the area. This isn't evening "disco" time I am talking about this is early evening music entertainment. There is definitely opportunity there to turn down the music a bit. The other opportunity that Costa could look at is their dinner service. It was slow most the time. Often our dirty plates sat in front of us for quite some time, slow on wine refills and they didn't offer coffee service in the dining room. For cruise pictures...I think the Costa should move to digital. Who really wants 11X17 pictures for their walls?

This cruise was excellent value for my money. I would travel on this ship again. Staff were all pleasant, food was very good. The ship overall had a nice ambiance.

I really enjoyed one day while the ship leaving the island for the day, the "opera" singer, singing the song "Time to Say Goodbye". That was a nice moment.

RJBJean's Full Rating Summary

Balcony Classic
Cabin BC 8406

Room was pretty standard. Bed sheets and pillow cases always fresh. Shower drained real slow, but that encouraged you not to waste water and shower quick. Room staff always did a great job.

Martinique

We stayed 2 nights in Ford de France at the Fort Savane hotel. It was nice and clean and good value. The pizza place on the corner was good food but extremely slow, many customers up and left

Virgin Gorda

Lovely place, but got extremely crowded. The tip would be to go early, and get to the beach quickly, ahead of people.

View All 248 Virgin Gorda Reviews
Antigua

We just hired a cab wtih 4 other travellers we met after getting off the ship. He agreed to take us to the Nelson Dockyards and , Shirley Heights and dropped us off at a beach for about 3.5 hours....perfect! The views up at Shirley Heights are wonderful!

St. Vincent

We took a water taxi to Villa beach. The filled the boat with a lot of people...so that worried me a bit. The beach was smallish, and locals supplied chairs and umbrellas for a small fee. You could use the washroom for $2. at a hotel there and it was very clean. There was some good snorkelling right off the beach. It was a good day there.

St. Maarten

The beach is right where the ship docks. We took it easy and just stayed on the beach.

Guadeloupe

We took a cab to St. Anne's beach. It was a rainy type day, but still nice to go there. It was mostly just a lot of tourists. Water was nice, beach was nice, but I imagine if it was a hot sunny day it would have been very crowded.

RJBJean