3. Magellan
This Northern Lights Cruise surpassed all my expectations. I chose this cruise because it had been a very long standing ambition to do so and I had at last found a friend was willing to go with me. Shortly after booking I was diagnosed with Meniere's Disease, which causes severe episodes of vertigo and sickness and for some weeks was convinced I would have to cancel. However, I researched the condition thoroughly with the help of the Meniere's Society and my doctor and with careful planning to cover every eventuality I decided to fulfill my dream. I booked all the on-shore activities I really wanted to do and determined not to over-reach myself. As a result I was able to enjoy all my choices and kept well. It is almost 2 weeks since I returned home. Was it worth it? Did I make the right decision? Absolutely. It was a fabulous experience and helped me regain my confidence. I had such admiration for all other passengers with health problems and their courage in undertaking such an adventure. For two weeks the weather was coming from Siberia and temperatures were lower than they had been for years. The results were perfectly clear skies: blue and sunny every day; starry by night. The benefits were several Northern Lights sightings; breathtaking scenery with fabulous photographic opportunities; access to all the scheduled ports; remarkably calm seas and good humoured passengers. I haven't enjoyed myself or laughed so much in years. The crew was exceptionally helpful and pleasant. They all seemed very happy in their work and nothing was too much trouble. I was particularly impressed with the standard of hygiene. Wherever you went, crew were continuously cleaning and "disinfecting" all surfaces being touched by passengers. The excursions were superbly organised and managed. The food was fantastic. We had been allocated a table in The Waldorf restaurant where the waiter service was slick, cheery and professional. I would recommend sitting at a table for 8 people for dinner as my friend and I had a table for two and missed out on sharing experiences with other passengers. We ate Dinner at 8.15pm and just retired to our cabin afterwards, so I cannot comment on the quality of entertainment. The excellent quality of accommodation, service and excursions was enough for me I am hard of hearing and had to rely on my friend to relay to me information being disseminated via the tannoy system. On our return to the UK my friend and I developed colds but during our absence so had her husband and daughter who live in different regions of England. Some tips: take an extra battery for you camera; if the sea is rough put a wet paper serviette under your mug of tea or coffee to prevent it moving; beware of being oversold in the fitness centre; choose a cabin that satisfies your expectations. Unreservedly, the best holiday I've ever had! I would highly recommend it.

Northern Lights Cruise

Magellan Cruise Review by eileen.garroch

• Sail Date: February 2018
  • Destination: Arctic

It is almost 2 weeks since I returned home.

I haven't enjoyed myself or laughed so much in years.

Unreservedly, the best holiday I've ever had!

I would highly recommend it.
eileen.garroch’s Full Rating Summary
Get Cruise & Maritime Voyages Magellan price drops

My friend and I shared a twin bedded outside cabin. My bed was closest to the wall and window and when the outside temperature was minus 20 to 30 degrees, I had to wear a lot of extra clothing to keep warm in bed. Some people in inside cabins were too hot. Our cabin was kept immaculately clean by our steward. I was impressed with the amount of storage: ample for four 23kg suitcases and a rucksack.