3. Magellan
I chose this cruise because I wanted to see the Northern Lights. Also because years ago I visited Norway and loved it, so wanted to revisit. The shore excursions really lived up to expectations, perhaps with the exception of the visit to the slate museum, when I wished I had chosen a different trip. However disembarkation was often really crazy, with stairs blocked for several decks up, and everybody wanting to leave at once. People going ashore under their own steam should have been asked to wait until the booked trips had left. I was a bit disappointed with the Reception staff. Having enjoyed the Lights two nights running from the deck of the ship, I wished I hadn't booked the shore excursion to see them, which cost over £100. I asked Reception if I could swap, to be told that it was too late, and if I didn't go I'd still have to pay. I felt that was rather abrupt. I enjoyed the meals in the restaurant; but seating provision in the Buffet was inadequate. I also became increasingly irritated by the waiters in the Buffet who are so quick to remove plates that one can hardly finish! Also they tend to patrol around, making me feel as if I was being invigilated in an exam. One other irritation was the constant 'sanitising' with horrible disinfectant liquid. I have eczema and my hands were raw at the end, as my hand cream was useless against this harsh stuff. Many people will not find these things a problem at all, so don't let my minor gripes put you off, the Northern Lights and Norway are truly stunning.

Wonderful visits, new friends, but....

Magellan Cruise Review by scenery lover

scenery lover’s Full Rating Summary
Get Cruise & Maritime Voyages Magellan price drops

I really liked my cabin, there was plenty of room and the bed was very comfortable. I had no problems with plumbing as some others did. I was warm enough, if a little too warm.
My only criticism is that the window needs refurbishment, it had mould on the inside, and in very cold locations it was heavily iced up on the inside.