3. Carnival Triumph
This was our first time cruising. We were celebrating our 20th Wedding Anniversary and it was our first time taking a vacation without the kids since our honeymoon. Overall we were very happy with our time on board and only had one small problem with a balcony smoker which Carnival quickly took care of. EMBARKATION: We departed out of New Orleans and had purchased FTTF upgrade. It went very smoothly. We were directed where to go and went through the lines very quickly. There was a bit of a wait before we were allowed to embark but once we did start there was no problems and it all went very fast and smoothly. It took perhaps 10 minutes from the time we left the parking lot before we had our seats in the terminal and another 10 minutes once embarkation started until we were on board the ship. SHIP: I don't have any ships to compare this since this was our first cruise but overall the ship was very nice. The decor is pretty tacky and reminds you of the 70's, which is odd since it was built in 1999. We noticed a ding here or there but nothing that would detract from our enjoyment. The ship was clean and the employees were all very nice, friendly, and helpful. CABIN: Our cabin was not quite ready so we dropped off our carry on bags and explored the ship. Our cabin number was 7428, an aft balcony. I absolutely loved this balcony and even slept out there a few nights. Our cabin neighbors on both sides were very nice. We have several great conversations with them. The decor was a bit drab with mostly orange and pink in the bathroom, but it was clean and well maintained. We were offered a choice of morning, evening or both for cleaning services by our steward Youston (not sure of the spelling but it was pronounced like Houston but with a Y instead of the H). He did a fine job and kept our ice bucket filled. On the second half of our cruise we had cabin number 8403. It was a much smaller deck and noisy. I did like that you could see out the glass (which you couldn't on the aft balcony since it was tinted and very dirty on the outside glass). The room itself wasn't much different and though we were under the South Beach Buffet as long as we were in the room it was quiet. It was only noisy on the deck. Putu was our steward on this leg and also did a fine job. DINING: We had anytime dining and dined in the London dinning room I think every night but one. The service was excellent each time. I never had a problem getting a drink or even a second drink if I wanted. The servers were attentive and the food was excellent to good depending on the items. BTW, we had heard that the buffet served the same food as the dinning rooms. That is absolutely NOT TRUE. The dinning room food is much more refined. What you get at the buffet is more middle of the road, we need to feed the masses, fair. If you haven't tried the dinning room you don't know what you are missing. This goes for breakfast as well as dinner. On the buffet the scrambled eggs are powdered eggs. In the dinning room they are real eggs. The lines at the buffet tended to be long. I have to say the buffet was the least favorite thing on the ship. It was the only thing that was a bit of a let down. I'd rate it as average. ENTERTAINMENT: We only watched one show and a couple of comedy routines.The show was The Big Easy and I found to be a step above high school but my husband thought it was great. As I'm the creative type I am probably a little harder to please then the average person when it comes to entertainment. The first leg we saw Marvin Todd and Lance Montalto's adult comedy routines. We found Marvin Todd to be funny but not hilarious. Lance was a yawn. I fell asleep during the latter half of the routine. The 2nd leg comedians were phenomenal. I was literally choking I laughed so hard. Scotty K had us rolling. SERVICE: I can not complain about any of the services we experienced. We were always taken care of fast and with a smile. PORTS: We did the VIP Exclusive Tulum & Cenote Swim with Mayan Lunch at Cozumel and the Chichen Itza Mayan Ruins Tour at Progreso. Martian on the Tulum tour was excellent. He was very knowledgeable and seemed genuinely concerned that we were having a good time. The cenote swim was my favorite part. The Mayan lunch was ok. It was interesting to see how they lived and it gives you a new appreciation for what you do have when you see how poor much of these countries still are. While we were at Chichen Itza some fool decided to climb the pyramid and got arrested. That was entertaining. :-) Unless you want to spend the night (or longer) in a Mexican jail, don't climb on the ruins. They are serious. They will arrest you. B2B: On the back to back portion of our cruise were were given instructions on what to do the night before the first cruise was to end. Because we were moving rooms we did have to pack up our suitcases but we were able to leave them in the room and the steward got someone to move them to the new room for us. We met at guest services and were the last people off the ship. We were then escorted through the terminal and customs and right back on the ship. We were back on by 10:30 and as we were the only couple doing a B2B we literally were the only guest on the ship for a full 2 hours. We received a complimentary glass of champagne, a photo with the guest services crew and a fruit basket and bottle of champagne in our room. On the first night we were also allowed to choose a complimentary bottle of wine from the dining menu. We definitely felt like royalty. Besides the aft balcony the 1st day of the B2B part of our cruise was my favorite.

First Time Cruiser Does a B2B

cloudninecat’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Triumph price drops

Aft-View Extended Balcony
Cabin 8M 7428
Awesome Balcony. It's large enough for 2 lounge chairs, a table and a chair.
Empress Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins