3. Empress of the Seas
I have only cruised with Carnival in the past, which has always been a great experience, so I naturally assumed that another cruise line would be similar in terms of the room, activities, and food. This ship did not meet my expectations and was a major disappointment. Having always traveled with Carnival in the past, I was expecting a nice room, nice food available 24 hours, a nice menu at dinner, a huge selection of excursions to choose from, and nonstop activities on the ship. The food on the ship was just terrible. I'm a vegetarian and they didn't have many options for me. Anything they did have available was just gross. Any pasta I had tasted like it was microwaved from chef boyardi. Our room was probably smaller than Anne's Frank's attic. There was no room for anything. I kept tripping over my suitcase. The bed was literally one wall to the other. There was not a great list of excursions to choose from, so we just had to find something online. Food was not available 24 hours. Room service charges extra if you order after a certain time. There wasn't much to do on the ship. Most of the time we were bored. A few people had said "well this is just a really small ship, so don't judge Royal Caribbean based off of this one ship." Fair enough, but why does a small cruise even exist? If I dish out money for a vacation, then I expect to have a nice room, food, and fun. I've never had any of these issues on Carnival, so cruising with a new line for the first time, I was expecting it to be similar. If I had known that Royal Caribbean offers tiny ships with poor quality food, I would have requested a different ship. This was a major disappointment and I don't recommend anyone cruise on Empress of the seas.

Very Disappointing

Empress of the Seas Cruise Review by britad88

britad88’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Empress of the Seas price drops

Way too small for two people
  Empress of the Seas Deck Plans

• Horseback Riding
    We went to an inclusive resort and had a great time. I didn't really enjoy the horseback riding though. The pictures on the website looked beautiful. I was expecting to be on the beach the whole time. We were going through a jungle-ish type of area most of the time with puddles and mud. Everytime we got to a puddle of mud, the horse slowed down as if it didn't want to go, and the tour guide gave us sticks to spank it with to make it speed up. I felt really sad doing that. I couldn't enjoy myself while feeling so bad for the poor horse. Other than that, we spent the day at the resort with an all you can eat buffet and drinks. That was the only REAL food I had on that entire vacation.
    View All 24 Horseback Riding Reviews
  • Key West
    It obviously wasn't Royal Caribbean's fault, but it was storming while we were in Key West, so our excursion was cancelled and it just turned into a bad day.
    View All 1,774 Key West Cruise Port Reviews