Amsterdam Cruise Review

Amsterdam Cruise Review by thegrabbag

• Sail Date: May 2016
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Large Ocean-View Stateroom

I have cruised to other destinations and this was my first time cruise to Alaska. The timing and price was perfect. As I boarded onto this ship and entered my outside view cabin I immediately saw that it was an average stateroom and surprised to find that there was only "one" electrical socket located in the middle of the room! I sleep with a CPAP machine and my electrical cord was not long enough to reach the socket. I had to go to the main deck desk and waited in a long line to borrow an extension cord provided that I leave a $25 deposit. Prior to the cruise I had ordered online a beverage card to use during the cruise and it was not placed in my stateroom so I had to wait in line again to get a replacement.

The general onboard ship experience was what I expected. The special dining I reserved ($49/per person) experience and the food was average. I could have gotten better food else where for the same price. We went to the open seating dining in the main white table cloth restaurant twice and ordered rib-eye and prime rib. Both times I requested minimum rare and got well done. I was very disappointed and went to the buffet for dinner on the other nights and had better steaks.

The excursions was over priced and got better deals on shore. Here's a tip when shopping for jewelery. We went into one of the popular jewelery stores and wanted to look at diamond rings. We looked at a 2 karat high grade diamond priced at $22k and we talked price for almost one hour and got the price do $10k! We felt that they were not up front with us and decided to walk away. They over priced their jewelery. When shopping in Alaskan shops, barter and ask for a discount. We got better prices when we asked for a lower price. Overall, the cruise was just average and nothing special. The ship is older, stateroom needs more than one electrical socket, food was average, customer service wa very good, ship activities was average.

thegrabbag's Full Rating Summary

Large Ocean-View Stateroom
Cabin D 1883

Large unobstructed view

Juneau

We walked the town and had the best king crab legs

Sitka

Beautiful peaceful town, nice place to retire

Victoria

Lots of tourist with lots of restaurants and shops

Seattle

Stay the night prior to cruise. You need to stay here a week to experience the city

thegrabbag