3. Legend of the Seas

This was our 3rd cruise having previously sailed on the Celebrity Summit and on Holland America's Nieuw Amsterdam. We chose RCL Legend of the Seas for its itinerary (Capri, Sicily, Malta, Corfu, Kotor, Split, Koper and Venice). Of these stops Kotor stood out for me as the best with the Caves in Slovenia also being a highlight.

As for the ship although old, it is very well laid out when compared to the Nieuw Amsterdam and Celebrity Summit, the running track, pool cinema screen and Centrum were my favourites. Since its revamp they have done a great job of the intelligent lighting in the Centrum which makes the area a great hub at night. Entertainment was overall very good; check out the Aerialists on the last night. Dining in the Romeo and Juliet dining room was also good and dining in Chops Grill, the speciality restaurant was excellent.

As for the downsides, the ship was a little rockier than others we have been on (noticeable only on two nights), the WindJammer cafe was small and crowded at times and I wasn't a fan of the plastic cups and plates on offer here. There was also less variety at breakfast and lunch when compared to the other two ships we have been on. Poolside RCL seem to use the big screen a lot to promote themselves and their ships as oppose to entertaining us which is counter productive and boring. As for our stateroom (an outside room) it looked dated and could do with a make-over. We were situated under the kitchen of the main Dining Room and at certain times of the night (4am - 4.30am) the noise would wake us without fail each night. This was our main disappointment overall as I spend a number of late afternoons catching up on sleep.

Overall this cruise experience was fine and I take away some good memories but for those of you thinking of choosing this ship I would advise against going for a guaranteed outside stateroom; stick to mid ship away from any obvious noise and if you are a very light sleeper maybe consider a newer ship.

Med Cruise September 2013