3. Statendam

This is very simple. This cruise caters to people of a very advanced age range. I went to Alaska on the Holland America Statendam with my girlfriend. We are 30. There were very few events that she and I would even consider going to. The music was old-fashioned, the shows were laughably G-rated and particularly unfunny--so much so that we had to leave it was so painful to watch. The "activities" on the boat, if you were to call them that, were about as exciting as watching cheese age.

I also felt that the cruise misrepresented itself in terms of how many destinations we'd be stopping at. It seemed like 5, but we only left the boat 3 times on a 7 night cruise, and with so little to do on the ship, it was very "cabin feverish" at points. All that said, Alaska is beautiful and we did see whales and glaciers from the boat and watch beautiful sunsets.

All the ship had to do was make an effort, which no one on the bartending staff decided to attempt (with four passengers ready to take a cocktails class, the instructor decided to cancel it "because there weren't enough people"). The breakfast came to our room, which was nice, but the lunch was beyond mediocre. The dinner isn't bad, but they want you to pay extra for the nicer food. The drink prices are fairly reasonable, especially the liquor, but there is a 15% service charge on all drinks/bottles, which is completely unreasonable as well as an $11.50 cent charge per day per person for cleaning your room. That's outrageous. So really, the price of the cruise was misrepresented as well.

I ended up feeling a bit cheated by Holland America, though, as I said there are nice moments like the wine class, Glacier Bay, and the views from the Crow's nest. It seemed like the older crowd had a good time, but please, if you're under sixty, consider a different option to see Alaska.

Not for under 65!

Statendam Cruise Review by RuggedEmu

• Sail Date: August 2013
  • Destination: Alaska

RuggedEmu’s Full Rating Summary
Rates

If you stand in the corner and look out the window at an angle you might be able to see the water from this "ocean view" cabin, but it basically had a view of a huge wall with a lifeboat on it. The room itself is nice, though very tiny. The service in the room was excellent!

Statendam Deck Plans

• Haines

This port is completely dependent on the weather. There is absolutely nothing to do in the city except for a hammer museum. That is a museum of hammers, by the way. We had a very nice time hiking and getting away from the ship, however. Apparently the ship goes back and forth between at Skagway and Haines and many people ferried to Skagway.

View All 66 Haines Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Haines Cruise Port Review
  • Juneau

To be fair, most of what we wanted to do here was outdoorsy and the weather was awful. Because of this we ended up staying in town, which is very touristy and inauthentic. We did go the Alaskan Beer Brewery and enjoyed that tour. The advice given to us by the cruise ship's port planner sums Juneau up quite well: When we asked what one thing in Juneau was not to be missed, he thought about it and replied, "Well, if you had three days, I'd tell you to rent a car and get out of Juneau and go camping somewhere or something."

View All 1,253 Juneau Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Juneau Cruise Port Review
  • Zodiac Boat

Ketchikan Outdoors is amazing! We got there and they had sold out of their first tour time but the owner called her husband and opened up another time for us. It ended up being just the two of us on the boat with our guide leading us in a separate boat. He was incredibly knowledgeable and interesting and catered the tour to our interests. We saw lots of wildlife, including a bear, sea lions, seals, and eagles. This was definitely the highlight of our trip! The town of Ketchikan is small but there is much more to it than Haines and it is not Disneyland Alaska like Juneau. Also Creek Street is great!

View All 21 Zodiac Boat Reviews