3. Splendour of the Seas
My wife and I have had 11 cruises on Princess, Holland America, Celebrity and RCCL. This is our second cruise on Splendour. The first was Panama Canal and western Caribbean. I remember that cruise as being pleasant experience. The only bad thing I remember about that cruise was that the beef was so tough that you had to send it back and accept the fish or pasta. That was a common complaint. Embarkation: We booked a Barcelona hotel through RCCL, so they picked us up early had us at the dock before most of the other passengers showed up. This process was about as good as it gets. Accommodations: Small, but we knew that. I guess no worse than any other ship. However, we had the worst cabin attendant we have ever had. He seemed very unhappy and didn't make up the room until almost noon. I will have to say that if I had his job, I wouldn't be too happy either. Food and Service: The food was not up to the standards of other cruises. I guess that I am comparing it to Celebrity. The dining room waiters made the mediocre food more palatable. I know that the ship was smaller than other others in the fleet, but I wish that they would put in healthy, light lunches that Constellation had. All you had in the solarium bar was hot dogs, burgers and pizza. The Windjammer was utter chaos about 9AM. I do remember that most of these types of eating venues are quite busy on all ships. Ever notice that people can become very hostile when it comes to getting their food? Believe me, no one was about to starve. Entertainment: Maybe because this was a transatlantic cruise but most of the shows were not very good, at least compared to other cruises. Ole Ole was fantastic. Health Concerns: My wife and others I talked to came down with the gastronomical maladies that stalk these cruises. Down and out for two days. I did notice that the ship did not have the hand sanitizers around the ship when we left Barcelona. After the passengers started getting sick, they came out. My wife wanted only ice cream or yogurt. When I asked for either at the Windjammer, the girl at the entrance told me that because of the sickness around the ship, they no longer could serve these items. Thanks. Also all help-yourself eating was taboo. I believe that if the Splendour had used these procedures from the start, that there would have been much less sickness. Celebrity Constellation was much better about sanitation. So, we will try to use Celebrity when we can, or Princess or HAL. It really depends on the itinerary. If RCCL is the only line to take us where we want to go, we will book with them.

Splendour of the Seas - Trans-Atlantic