Carnival Legend Cruise Review by mytmauro: Hits and Misses

Compare Prices on Carnival Legend Western Caribbean Cruises

Hits and Misses

Sail Date: February 2012
Embarkation: Tampa

Hi just returned from our Legend cruise today and wanted to share my thoughts.

Overall we had a great time on the Legend and wanted to share my experiences both positive and negative.

First off we got the Port of Tampa early for embarkation around 10:45a and found it very easy. They let us board a little after 11:15a and we were on the ship by 11:45a.

I have to say overall the entertainment was disappointing. Even thought we loved the shows and productions that Carnival had, the Cruise Director Kirk needs to get a job he loves. I don't get the impression he loves his job and it shows - I rarely saw him and he was consistently sarcastic. Carry a watch? have time management issues? hmmm good to see your right on time! - - he said these jokes at every event

There were a lot of dead times compared to previous Carnival Cruises. Every night was a Comedy show (which are funny but after day 3 I was ready for something different)and music in some bars. My More wife and I found some of the venues REALLY smokey and had to leave or sit outside the venue and enjoy the music. The Carnival Legend band is great so I recommend seeing them any chance you get - the other musicians were hit and miss and there was a Lido deck duo that were terrible.

Food seemed to have slipped from when we cruised on Carnival 4 yrs ago as well. The wait staff in Truffles (The main dining area) was top notch, 10 stars. We had Remberto and Louvie and they were just a joy. There was one stellar night of Lobster, but other than that it was very average. Their soups were quite good as well as well as the chocolate melting cake.

The ports were great.

Cozumel - I really like Cozumel there is a lot to do and shopping is great. We went snorkeling and it was great. Lots of fish - negotiated on land for this and got a lower price thru Islander Tours but they made us wait a long time and the value $150 for 6 persons seemed like less of a value. I recommend either booking early or going directly to a few of the larger boats operators right on the shore.

Belize - This was an area you could feel uncomfortable in. It is very poor outside of the port and not great for walking at all. I booked thru Cave-tubing.com $45/pp and caught the early trek which gives you a longer float. This was nice however the trek thru the rainforest can be long for those not well conditioned and with health problems. I would est. it was a 1.5 mi walk on uneven ground. I didn't find it to be an issue but if you have problems with stairs or a walk of that length you need to take that into consideration.

Anyway the cave tubing was very neat and highly recommended. The water is spring fed and about 70 degrees or so and it's beautiful.

Roatan - Holy Cow Roatan blew me away! Roatan is super beautiful and friendly. We did a tour thru Juan Carlos $25/pp in a private Van and got to pretty much tailor make a tour. So Charley our guide (who was awesome along with Juan Carlos are both top notch) took us to beautiful vistas, we went to a monkey farm, zip lined, went to West Bay which is an amazing beach and then stopped by a shell carving factory which was neat. My only complaint is why does Carnival leave so early at this port? 3p departure means you got about a comfortable 4 or 5 hrs tops and it's the best port of call by far IMO.

The last sea day - the couple events I did want to do were booked at the same time and again no Kirk and a ton of dead time.

Overall I think a cruise is what you make of it. So we had a great time! I have to say though Carnival is the only cruise operator I toured with and I next time I think I will travel with someone else.
Cayman - I took the kids to Stingray City thru Moby Dick Tours $45/pp and it was a great tour and extremely interactive with the Stingrays. Cayman is a very small town and expensive goods - so not the best shopping IMO. Less

Read more Carnival Legend cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Legend Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Legend

Cabins 1253 and 1251 - quiet cabins, near elevators, very stable since it's lower in the ship

Cave tubing was great! It's a bit of a hike through the jungle - maybe 1.5 mi and a word of caution it's an uneven track so be careful. The water and caves were awesome!

Snorkeling

(4)
Islander Tours outsourced us to another provider which caused a significant delay of more than 2 hrs. The outsourced operator was good but he also delay by picking people all around Cozumel before we snorkeled. He was very good in the water and knowledgeable as well.

(5.5)
Roatan is amazing! The beaches, zip lining, shopping and people are all fantastic. What a beautiful island.
Read 1646 Roatan Reviews