Carnival Legend Cruise Review by Lobster Mama

Cruise Date: February 2012
Embarkation: Tampa
Cabin Category: 4A

Pretty Good Value for the Money
Just got off Carnival Legend - we chose Carnival because it sails out of Tampa and we only live an hour away. It was our anniversary and we wanted to do something special.

Arrived in Tampa around 10:15 Sunday morning. It was a bit confusing at first because people were disembarking and then others were coming in trying to embark so we got a little lost trying to find the parking garage entrance, but then once we did and got in line to park it all went very smoothly from there. The parking garage is quite nice - easy to find a space and very friendly staff to check you in and explain what you need to do for long term parking. From there we crossed the street and got in line to go through customs & check in - all very easy & quick. We were given a zone # and when it was called we boarded and were directed right to the Lido deck for a nice lunch. Many choices at the buffets - pizza, burgers, deli sandwiches made to order, Chinese food, salad bar, etc. All in all very tasty choices and plenty of it.

I won't go into great detail about the various ports because many already have commented on them and I feel that my opinion may differ greatly from others. Suffice to say my favorite port was Roatan Bay - beautiful island & friendly people. I only wish we could stay there longer. The other comment I want to add is I was absolutely amazed at the punctuality of the captain getting us in and out of our ports. If it was scheduled to be there at 8:00 am we were there right on the dot. And leaving the port was never delayed either. If it was listed as leaving at 3:00 we were under way at 3.

Some have commented on the gaudiness of the decor on the Legend but I personally thought it was quite beautiful & I always felt a bit elegant walking in to the lobby area with the glass elevators and beautiful lights. I did get turned around many times while walking around, but there were maps of the ship everywhere showing where you were just in case you might need a little help.

Of course, there were photographers everywhere, but I never found them pushy or rude. If you said you were all set or didn't want a picture taken, they simply moved on and were friendly about it. The various backgrounds they offered for formal pictures were very nice and we did purchase several for keepsakes.

We loved dinner and looked forward to it every night. We were given an intimate table for 2 and our wait staff was excellent. Putu who was our head waiter was very attentive to our needs and if anything was lacking he was quick to see it was taken care of. Luis & Bojanna both worked hard to make our dining experience wonderful as well and we loved their warmth & friendliness. One night they brought us a slice of cake with a candle in it and all 3 sang Happy Anniversary to us. The food was excellent every night - very tastefully prepared & interesting choices; among them frog legs, oyster rockefeller & shark.

We are not late night people so we didn't see a lot in the way of entertainment but the comic shows that are "family friendly" were wonderful & not to be missed. We really enjoyed how they got the audience involved.

Our cabin was clean & neat and quite roomy for an interior. Our steward Collin was very friendly and when I requested something he was very quick to have it done before we got back. We enjoyed the animal towel he made for us every night.

The night before we got back to Tampa we had detailed instructions in our room about the disembarking procedure. We put our luggage out the night before with tags they had provided with a number on it. The next morning we hung out on the Lido deck visiting with fellow passengers & sipping coffee until our number was called. Less than 10 minutes later we were off the ship, had our luggage, were through customs & on the way to the parking garage. Very easy & smooth.

All in all, it was a wonderful vacation. From the time we parked until we got back to the car it was relaxing & enjoyable. Carnival is a great value for the money.

Publication Date: 03/05/12