Ryndam Cruise Review by vmboo

Member Name: vmboo
Cruise Date: January 2012
Embarkation: Tampa
Cabin Category: HH
See More About: Ryndam Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals
Dining Not Rated
Public Rooms Not Rated
Cabins Not Rated
Entertainment Not Rated
Embarkation Not Rated
Service Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Ship Facts: Ryndam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Ryndam Deck Plans
Ryndam cruise with my mother and our flooded cabin.
I sailed in the first week of January with my mother. We took a chance, due to a good price, with a cabin guarantee in the HH category which is an outside fully obstructed cabin. What we were assigned was cabin 382 which was an outside cabin on the promenade deck that was not fully obstructed. However, as I read on cruise critic and I can confirm now myself, this is a cabin that is directly under the kitchen galley. I took the galley tour later in the cruise and I believe our cabin was below the bakery area where there is a noisy, vibrating industrial mixer. The noise was tolerable as it was occasional throughout the day and pretty quiet late night. However, we experienced a flood in our cabin on the last evening which I will explain in further detail. My advice is do not get a cabin guarantee, if you choose to go on this ship which I do not recommend.

This ship itself is worn looking with some exceptions. The bathroom in the cabin looked almost brand new and was likely part of the 2010 refurbishment. The theater, although smaller than other ships, was tastefully decorated and did not look old. There is worn carpeting throughout the ship and the main lobby area is small with an ugly large sculptor in the middle.

Cleanliness of the ship is not what they preach. The ship is in a virtual lock down for the first two days in the lido buffet area. You are not allowed to serve yourself any food or drink, including water or coffee. This creates long lines for everything and having to go back for items. Even the salt and pepper is off the table. In addition, they will not offer a spoon or milk, cream for the coffee and then you find out that you had to ask for it as it is off limits. The cleanliness in the buffet stops there as they are short on crew and during peak times stacked with dirty dishes. I think what they are doing is good practice but they need more staffing and attention to their passengers. The other issue with cleanliness is that the public bathrooms

were often not clean. On one occasion, there was no soap available in any dispenser. I alerted a crew employee in the gift shop, next door to the bathroom who looked at me blankly and told me that there is hand sanitizer machines around the ship. I told him that I thought that was a serious health hazard.

The good things I have to say about this ship is that the formal dining room had overall good food and variety of choice. I also really enjoyed my servers there who were friendly and attentive. The theater shows were also good with talented singers who gave there all.

The most disappointing issue is the flood in our cabin. On our last evening at around midnight we heard what sounded likely heavy duty cleaning above us in the galley. The noise was loud and aggressive sounding. The next thing we had water streaming into the cabin onto my bed and my head. The front desk was called and they sent maintenance up who just nodded his head and said nothing could be done. We requested a change of cabin by an officer who arrived shortly after who told us there were no other cabins available. I told him we could not stay there and to find us something else. Miraculously they found us another cabin which was on the other side of ship on the lowest level. We slept there on the last night but left our possessions in the cabin not wanting to have to move everything in the middle of the night. Fortunately, most of our things were packed and taken away for debarkation as this was the last night. When we retrieved our belongings the next day the water was still coming in with saturated carpet and one bed. They had a team of maintenance people waiting for us to retrieve our things, some of them damp, and leave so they could make repairs.

This was a terrible end to our cruise and we had very little sleep that last evening. We requested some compensation from an officer with Hal the next morning. He said he could not do anything for us and and gave a card to my mother to contact an individual in their Seattle office with an e mail but no phone number listed who assured would promptly assist us. To date no response after a follow up e mail and message left with no response other than a form e mail stating that it could take up to 6 weeks and they take their inquiries in the order received. It is now past 6 weeks and we continue to wait and I expect they want us to forget and do nothing.

I would strongly recommend not going on the Ryndam for these reasons and will avoid HAL going forward.

Publication Date: 02/26/12