Ryndam Cruise Review by bigeagle12

Member Name: bigeagle12
Cruise Date: February 2012
Embarkation: Tampa
Cabin Category: L
See More About: Ryndam Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Spa & Fitness 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Ship Facts: Ryndam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Ryndam Deck Plans
Ryndam - February 12, 2012
First time HAL cruisers. Selected cruise for desired ports of Key West and Cozumel.

Pre-cruise stayed at Hampton Inn Rocky Point. Great hotel, free shuttle to and from port. No charge to leave car at hotel.

Embarkation was GREAT! Arrived at port at 12:30pm and was on ship at 12:40pm.

Ship: Beautiful ship and excellent condition. I am not one to look for negative things but here are a couple of things I noticed. A lot of the carpet was well worn and seating in show theater was very uncomfortable due to low backs.

Room: Large inside. Very roomy and lots of closet space.

Food: Excellent. Ate in MDR, Lido and Terrace Grill. MDR food was excellent. Lido was very good although selection did not vary much compared to RCI and Princess. Terrace Grill was just ok. I am a big pizza fan and pizza was just average .. Princess has the only good pizza I have found so far.

Service: Cabin steward, waiters, bar staff, customer service, casino, shops, etc. - all EXCELLENT.

Entertainment: Singers were really good and the one comedian very good. The piano player in the Mix was LOUSY. Guitar player in Mix was very good. Overall lacked the variety of entertainment we enjoy on RCI and Princess.

Pools: I love the Terrace Pool and my wife prefers the Lido pool. They only fully opened the roof of the Lido pool on one day.

Casino: I love to play Blackjack after the wife goes to bed. Arrived at casino the first night at 11:45pm and they were shutting down all the tables. I am used to playing from 12am to 2 am .. not on this cruise. I will say this .. the dealers were EXCELLENT .. could deal fast and they could all count. Our last RCI cruise had the worst dealers .. cards flying everywhere and could not count .. REALLY ???

Misc: Average age of cruisers was probably 70's but active and mobile. Only saw 2 scooters and a few more with canes. Was the most courteous crowd we have experienced.

Overall: We had a very enjoyable cruise but prefer the activities offered on RCI and Princess. HAL will probably not be one of our preferred cruise lines .. but would cruise HAL again if they offer an itinerary that we like.

Publication Date: 02/27/12