Dawn Princess Cruise Review by lily40au: Dawn Princess, 13 nights, New Zealand 1st time sailing

lily40au
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Dawn Princess Australia & New Zealand Cruises

Dawn Princess, 13 nights, New Zealand 1st time sailing

Sail Date: January 2012
Destination: Australia & New Zealand
Embarkation: Melbourne

My husband and I travelled on the Dawn Princess' 13 day round trip from Melbourne to New Zealand and had a wonderful time. This was our first experience of cruising and we really enjoyed it -- the pace is so relaxed and it's wonderful to be handy to everything you need or want to do.

Accommodation. We were very happy with our cabin. It felt small at first, and the decor was something out of the 1980s, but it was always clean and our steward worked hard to make sure we were as comfortable as possible. I think the cabin stewards were amongst the friendliest crew we interacted with and there were several near our cabin who were always ready with a smile or to chat.

Having a balcony was wonderful and I don't know if I'd want to travel without one. It was probably the most entertaining part of our life on board. We went on it first thing in the morning to check out the weather and where we were, and it provided endless entertainment in port as we watched the dock, the city, More people boarding or disembarking, the tugs as we left port and the pilot leaving the ship. And that didn't include sitting on it with a glass of wine as we left port or before we left for dinner.

Food. I eat out regularly and I found the food predictable. It was mainly Western 'traditional' type food, despite the lunch time buffets like Mexican and Japanese, and the flavours seemed to be toned down to appeal to a wider audience.

Having said that it was always fresh and possible to get everything from a soup and salad for lunch through to a four course meal for dinner, and that was just the food court. What disappointed me was the amount of food wasted, and I later heard something like 42 tonnes of food is pulverised and discharged from the ship each cruise.

The ship. I loved the look and feel of the Dawn Princess. She was big enough that we didn't feel confined and on sea days I never felt as though we were sharing the ship with 2,000 other people. The only time we noticed how many people were on board was the day we arrived when everybody was getting settled, and after that not really.

Activities. I'm not sure all the shows are good enough for Broadway but Princess worked hard to make sure we were entertained day and night and I was happy with what we saw. The activities are varied enough not to feel as though you're seeing the same things over and over again, and we participated in things we wouldn't do on shore like playing shuffleboard, dominoes and bowls.

Tipping. I wasn't in favour of tipping before I left home although I understood about $10 per day each was included in our fare. I was disappointed when I heard about the low wages paid to some crew and we left generous tips for the crew we'd interacted with and we thought deserved to be tipped.

The passengers. On the whole the passengers were lovely and we met some wonderful people. But my second disappointment was the way some passengers treated the crew. I saw several examples of people 'telling' or 'ordering' crew to get something for them, or rudely telling crew that they didn't like the way something had been done. One example in the food court was a steward run off her feet looking after 15 tables being told to clear the table and lay it for a woman who'd just arrived. No acknowledgement and no please or thank you from the passenger --I'm not sure I'd like to work under those conditions especially when I saw most crew work hard for long hours.

Hidden costs. I knew before we travelled that there are lots of ways the ship makes additional money: the casino, alcohol and coffee, photos at $25 each, bingo, shore excursions and more. My husband and I are good at watching our pennies but it needs to be watched carefully or I'm sure the bill could easily have been in the thousands.

Would we do it again--we had a fabulous time and on a personal level I'd willingly do it again. But I found a moral dimension to cruising that wasn't reconciled by the tipping included in the cruise cost or by tipping on top that doesn't sit comfortably with me. Less

Read more Dawn Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Dawn Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Dawn Princess Oceanview Double with Balcony Caribe Deck c606

Nice sized cabin and good storage space, very little movement in cabin in rough weather, quiet location between stairs/lifts.

We took a private tour in Auckland, and had a wonderful day despite it being so windy. There were also a number of places to visit that I would recommend: 1. Old St Mary's Church in Parnell. Interesting history and it hosts Sir Edmund Hilary's banner from when he was a knight of the garter and the pulpit has a tiny mouse carved into it. 2. Take the ferry to Devonport to explore it. It's really quaint and lovely. 3. Get to the top of One Tree Hill - the view is stunning and well worth it.

We had the best tour guide in Dunedin and got to see many things it would be hard to do without a guide as Dunedin is quite spread out. 1. Taieri Gorge Railway is wonderful, and I highly recommend it. The scenery is stunning and quite unexpected. 2. Olveston House is a must see too. The tour is really informative, as is the guide, and there's so much to see. 3. The world's steepest residential street called Baldwin Street has to be seen to be believed, and walking it is so simple feat!
Read 80 Dunedin Reviews

We wandered around the city under our own steam, which is possible in Wellington because it's so small. A tip is to take the cable car to the top and walk downhill through the Botanical Gardens around to the Parliament House (the Beehive) and take a tour there. And don't forget to see the southern hemisphere's oldest and largest wooden building just down the road (now something to do with the law). The port is also very close to town so it's possible to walk to and from the ship to Wellington.