Dawn Princess Cruise Review by Fab 50: 1st Time-WOW-Loved it-will do it again!!!!

Fab 50
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Dawn Princess Australia & New Zealand Cruises

1st Time-WOW-Loved it-will do it again!!!!

Sail Date: December 2011
Destination: Australia & New Zealand
Embarkation: Melbourne

Can only find one fault which is a personal choice only-pillows were way to flat for me.....that's it-10/10 for everything else I say!!

I was a little worried as the demographics were 65-85 with lots of walkers & walking sticks but they were all fun full of life people that were out to live life to the fullest.I was put on a table of 9 other singles(6 x woman & 3 x men ranging from 47 to late 70's)at the 7.45pm sitting & the staff were brilliant-very welcoming & gave 5 star service every night-they got to know our names & what our likes & dislikes were in no time-Smith & Jason were excellent waiters & I could not fault them at all & they were all happy & were complementary on how I looked-great for my ego!!

The shows were varied & very professional & packed out each night-then the bars were busy with great singers & then the disco had great up to date music with a fun DJ-I had a second lease of life-soooo much fun!! There was bingo-trivia-dance lessons and so many More other things that if anyone complained there was nothing to do on the sea days then they would be very hard to please. The 2 x formal nights were fun dressing up for a change-one which was Chrissy night & one the 3rd night into the cruise.

My service man who did my room was amazing-he seemed to know when I went out & hardly saw him but my room was always spotless-I was upgraded to a balcony room the day before I left from a lifeboat obstructed view room one deck lower-would have been nice to share with someone but that's what happens when you travel by yourself!!

Food was amazing-The Horizons buffet was amazing-everything you could want for & the afternoon teas were yummy.There were 5 of us that tried The Steakhouse Restaurant that had a $20 cover charge but I would have paid $40 for the steak that I had-it was THE BEST STEAK I have ever had-melt in your mouth material!!!The gym was bigger than I expected & The Lotus Spa looked nice but a bit pricey for me.

The info every night for the next day including tours were very informative-I booked all my tours before I left on line so all organized-the only one I would not do again is the walking tour in Akaroa as it is only a small village & I could have seen all I wanted to in my own time.

The smooth disembarkment was crazy-out in 5 mins-loved it & would do it all again in a heart beat!! Less

Read more Dawn Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Dawn Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Dawn Princess Oceanview Double with Balcony Caribe Deck C611

C611 was fantastic-about a third of the way back of the ship on level 9 with a balcony which was lovely.No complaints at all-very quiet-plenty of room to move around & plenty of closet space-all good!!

Before Auckland we stopped at Napier & Tauranga(not on the list to choose from) which were both excellent plus the weather was getting better each port. Auckland was so close to the city-I went on the bridge climb which is half as high as The Sydney Harbour Bridge but trust me it was high enough & a great experience. I also walked up to the Sky Tower & the view was brilliant.....

We actually stopped at Akaroa which is about 80 klms from Christchurch but the pier was still damaged from the earthquake so we went to shore on the lifeboats which were well organized & only took about 15mins to go ashore. Quaint little village-not much to do but one of the girls I met went on a swimming with the dolphins tour & had a ball so there were lots of options available.

Landed in cold weather but we were put on a train just outside the port so not far to walk-The rail trip was amazing with fantastic views,commentary & volunteers feeding us morning tea & lunch-could not fault the old train - great trip!!
Read 80 Dunedin Reviews

Windy Wellington-I chose a tour that went to Mt Victoria which was amazing-no wind & a fantastic view-then to the cable car in the city-lovely!!