Carnival Dream Cruise Review by Bloopmnstr: Good times on the Dream!

Bloopmnstr
Member Since 2010

Entertainment Not Rated

Compare Prices on Carnival Dream Western Caribbean Cruises

Good times on the Dream!

Sail Date: January 2012
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

I went on this cruise with my boyfriend and we both loved it. The embarkation was fast and easy and we were on the ship eating lunch in no time. Our room steward was very friendly and called us by name the whole cruise. Also, we got towel animals every night. I'm not sure if they do this on all Carnival ships, but our first two cruises we only got them every other night. It REALLY doesn't matter I guess, I was just tickled pink to have them every night though.

Our cabin was 7440, a balcony cabin towards the back of the ship on the port side (deck 7). We LOVED this room. We've been unfortunate enough to have booked both of our previous cruises in very noisy rooms. I researched this area of the ship before booking so I didn't make that mistake again ;) It was quiet and the balcony, too, was quiet. Since we were towards the back of the ship, we had the ocean directly below our balcony. If we would have picked a cabin closer to the middle of the ship, we would've had deck More 5 right below our balcony with people walking around. We even walked around deck 5 to see we could see everyone out on their balconies, we did. This might not bother some people, but we like our privacy :).

The food was wonderful. The salads, the quesadillas, the pizza and deserts. *wipes tear* all so good. The ship had a grill that served food on sea days in the middle of deck 5 (I believe the area was called the Lanai) it served nachos, quesodillas, sliders, bratwursts and more. Most of the food was good, except the sliders. They had chewy tendon-like "stuff" in the meat, but it was the only thing on the whole ship that I didn't like. We never did eat dinner in the dinning room, so I can't comment on the food there. However, our muster station was in the crimson dinning room and I can say it was lovely, hehe.

This ship "felt" different too. The lines seemed to be shorter all the time, even at peek hours. It didn't feel crowded at all and we could always find lounge chairs and seats anywhere. The only crowded areas were the pools and bars on sea days (expected though). The motion on the ship was also non-existent. I hardly felt like I was on a ship! I was seasick on our last cruise, so the less movement, the better for me. You know that feeling when you get off the ship and the land feels like its moving? Yeah, we didn't have that feeling.

The service was also exceptional. All of the bartenders, the room steward, the bar waiter at the sports bar were really great. But I was most pleased with customer service because of a shore excursion disaster on Costa Maya. It went terribly wrong and we missed out on a beach day (on our last port too). When we got back from being dropped off at the ship we went to customer service to explain what happened and honestly... I was expecting a negative reaction when asking for a refund. But they understood and we got our refund without hassle. THEN, the next morning we had a message on our phone saying that they also refunded ANOTHER excursion (worth about $200) because we missed out on the beach. That made us very happy.

In all, this ship was really great, right down to the disembarkation as well. We hope to sail on her again soon! Less

Read more Carnival Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Dream Balcony Empress 7440

Room 7440. It was pretty quiet both in the room and on the balcony. The view was great as well, no decks/lifeboats showing. Didn't feel much motion in there either. Our cabin was connected to the cabin next to us by a door and we could hear a little talking through it, but our neighbors were quiet so it hardly posed a problem. That may not always be the case though.

We went to the Xunantunich Ruins. It was an hour or so bus ride, a tiny ferry ride, and a quick trip in a van to get to the ruins... all of this was worth it. The ruins were large, well preserved, and we were able to walk on them. The main pyramid facade is actually a replica molded over the originals to help preserve them. I wish we would have been able to see the originals but I understand. After the ruins we had lunch in an open air restaurant. It was grilled chicken, rice and beans, and coleslaw. The food was great. The excursion took up most of our time on the port, but we had an exciting time!

Culinary Tour

(3)
The excursion was supposed to be a three part tour. First an hour of shopping, then a few hours on the beach, and then a tour through the jungle to see a mayan fishing village. The tour started off with us getting onto a bus and heading off to shop. The shopping was nice, but most of us went for the BEACH! So we all met back up at the bus to move on... but a bunch of taxis had parked around our bus, blocking us in. They refused to move for a little over an hour. We were all hot and angry and our tour guide tried to convince them to move, but nothing worked. The police finally showed up and talked to them for awhile. They eventually moved to let us out. We lost a lot of beach time but tried to push on. The police then pulled us over warning us that the taxis would probably block us in again at the beach and that they wouldn't be able to help us. The tour guide called the excursion off and we tried heading back to the ship. The taxis had blocked us from using the main roads to get back to the ship, so we had to take the skinny side roads to get back. When we got back we received compensation from Carnival for the excursion and our trouble, but we didn't get our beach :( Since we got back to the port a couple hours early, we had plenty of time to grab a drink and shop around and we had a great time. Most of the shop keepers were friendly and easy to barter with. I give the excursion a 1 and the port a 5, so to be fair it gets a 3. The excursion didn't go very well, but we'd love to come back here someday and give it another shot.

We did the Gumbalimba Park and Tabyana Beach excursion through Carnival. I loved this port/excursion the most. Gumbalimba was amazingly beautiful, the monkeys and parrots were great, and the guide was as sweet as can be. Tabyana beach was absolutely amazing as well. The beach was rather small, but I didn't mind too much. They had a restaurant, a bar, two shops, and freshwater showers. They also rented lockers and snorkel gear for a very pair price of just a few dollars. The people were all so friendly and fun. We had the hardest time leaving this port.
Read 1647 Roatan Reviews