Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by HGVGuy

Member Name: HGVGuy
Cruise Date: January 2012
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Cabin Category: OG
See More About: Norwegian Sun Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sun Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sun Deck Plans
Perfect Way to Turn 30
For my 30th birthday we decided to book a cruise. It was my first cruise, and the second for the rest of my party. Having looked at the reviews of the sun, I was beginning to get a little worried. After a week aboard, all my worries were for nothing.

Embarkation was a breeze. Go through security, set up the account, take a picture, and board the ship! We took the elevator to the pool deck, and enjoyed our first drink as we waited for rooms to be ready. By 1 o'clock we were in our room and ready to sail!

Once we took off, we explored the ship. Initially I was confused by the layout of the ship. You have to walk through some odd areas (the club, casino) to get to the theater or shops. It really wasn't a big deal to me, and it didn't take long to learn how to navigate the ship.

Activities on the ship are plentiful! They work hard at giving you choices in activities. My favorite was the mojito tasting. It had a charge, but it was worth it.

Food was fine. There is always somewhere to eat. We chose the Seven Seas or Four Seasons for most of our dinners and the Outdoor Cafe or Garden Cafe for most breakfasts and lunches. Portions at the sitdowns can seem a bit "small." In reality, I think they are just "American" small. If you want more, order another. It's the perk of cruises!!!! My only disappointment was dessert. Most desserts offered were just mushy and boring. My favorite food, however, was the chicken wings from the Sports Bar. So good!

Ports... oh Ports... I think this is my biggest complaint. We didn't do an excursion in Cozumel, so that was fine. Lots o people selling stuff, and yummy Margaritas. However, we did excursions in the rest of the ports. I was AMAZED at how chaotic it was to get to your respective excursion. Signs were used in Grand Cayman. There were a lot of people, but we found where we needed to go. Jamaica was VERY confusing. There was a mass of people, and not all groups used signs. We repeatedly asked where we needed to be only to be given a stock "Stay under the tent, and someone will get you" response. We finally got someone to help us, and found our van before they left. After we found were we needed to go, I must say the excursions were really fun! We did the Sting Ray Sandbar in Grand Cayman, Tubing in Jamaica, and Wave Runners in the Bahamas. They were all amazing, and worth the money. I just with we'd not had the chaos in the beginning.

Disembarkation was a bit of a cluster. I understand there are 2000 people trying to leave, and didn't mind the line, but there needed to be more direction in forming the line. That being said, we got off the ship relatively quickly. It was just a little confusing.

All in all, I loved the trip. The ship is very nice and clean. The staff were great. Our room steward was awesome. I would absolutely choose NCL again, and would choose the Sun.

Publication Date: 01/20/12