Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by Mr and Mrs C: NCL Sun Jan. 7 with group of 19

Compare Prices on Norwegian Sun Western Caribbean Cruises

NCL Sun Jan. 7 with group of 19

Sail Date: January 2012
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

Our group of 19 all drove to Florida from Ontario (24 hour drive), and stayed at La Quinta in Cocoa Beach, not fancy, but clean hotel and friendly staff and we got a group rate of $60 per room. We got the shuttle to the port, and parked our vehicles at the hotel for free for the week.

We were on the boat for lunch, and rooms were ready before we were done eating. Lunch was very good at the buffet, and we had no problems finding a spot to sit together out on the deck.

Our family had an ocean view on deck 8, with 5 of us in one room (yes you read that right)! My husband and I brought our 11 year old son, 14 year old daughter, and 14 year old niece on this cruise. The 14 year olds slept on the pull out couch, and the 11 year old slept on the pullman bed that comes down from the ceiling. We kept the room organized, and had no problems, I would do it again in a heartbeat, we really only used the room to sleep.

For supper we made a reservation at the 4 Seasons main More dining room. We had 2 tables because of the size of our group. Everyone had a great meal, and we ate there for almost all of our suppers, never had a bad meal, even the lobster was really good! I liked a couple of the appetizers, and could not decide between the 2, so I just ordered both of them with my meal. The guys also ordered 2 desserts, so if you like larger portions, just order more!

We went to the buffet for breakfast and lunch, and if it was crowded we took our meals over to Modereno (free for breakfast and lunch, but cover charge for supper), they had a smaller selection of the buffet there, and had great breakfast pizzas in the morning. Sometimes we were the only ones there.
We also had snacks in the sportsbar at night. You can get a variety of comfort foods here, including wings. Room service was also good, one time we ordered a plate of yummy chocolate chip cookies!

The staff on the boat was very friendly and helpful, our room steward Robert was the best one we ever had.

We cruised the Pearl last year, and did enjoy that ship better than the Sun, was it a bad cruise? No, but I would not pick the Sun again, we found the buffets to be smaller, and not as many options, and the entertainment was not as good as the pearl. We went to all of the shows, and did enjoy the comedian, and on the last night some of the workers came out for a talent show, and some of those singers were better the the Sun singers that do the main show.

The pool deck always had chairs, even on sea days. The pools are small, but not to many people used it, so it was not a problem.

The kids had a blast at the kids club, and enjoyed all the activities, we hardly saw the kids and had a hard time convincing them to hang out with us! The staff does a great job of keeping them entertained.

Our group of 19 all enjoyed the cruise, and can't wait to sail NCL again, maybe Epic next? Less

Read more Norwegian Sun cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Sun Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Sun

Beach Break

(5)
Nice beach, great swim up bar, great drinks, great service, and great food. We had a great day here. We got 3 taxis for our group, at $4 per person one way. The first person we asked in port wanted us to pay $15 per person, luckily I had read on CC about how much I should be paying, just walk a bit further!

It was very hot, and we did not book an excursion here. We did some shopping, and got some great deals on rum, and rum cakes, bought 2 bottles ofrum for $25, and got a free $20 rum cake that is to die for! We walked to the post office, and for .63 cents I bought a post card and mailed it back to Canada. I wish we had of hired a driver to see the sites, I do like shopping, but I feel we missed out on seeing the island.

Beach Break

We also stopped at Great Stir up Cay, no spot for that port so I will stick it here. It was a nice beach day, the kids did the hippo slide ($20 for the day). We also went snorkeling with our own equipment, you do need to rent life vests ($5 for the day), we saw lots of fish, some large ones came quite close, and we realized later why. As we swam out we saw people feeding them out of their hands, looked like a granola bar. I wished we had remembered the under water camera, could have got some great shots. Also ran into some small jelly fish that left their mark on us. We went to the medical centre, and got some vinegar, and cream, apparently they are irritating, but harmless. We had a great lunch including some delicious ribs and corn on the cob. Tendering was fast and easy.

Dunn's River Falls

(5)
Our group agreed this was the best port of all! At first we were going to stay on the boat after reading many scary reviews, but then we found Mark Morris tours and after reading several great reviews on CC we booked him. He was great in answering questions about the tour, and I would recommended him fully. We got in a newer styled van with his assistant and went to Dunn's River Falls. Mark was there with another group, and helped get us all organized once we got there. Yes the falls were extremly busy, but soooo worth it. I would go back and do it again if I could! After the falls we drove up Fern Gully, that was an amazing trip up the mountain, very beautiful. We then went shopping in a strip mall type of place, and shopping was enjoyable, not pushy at all. Apparently the market was very pushy. Last stop was jerk chicken for lunch, it was very good, not sure the kitchen would pass health inspections, but we lived to tell the tale!