Thomson Dream Cruise Review by Snakehips: The Thomson Dream -

The Thomson Dream -

Sail Date: December 2011
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: Barbados

This cruise was our third in the Caribbean one the Ocean Village, Thomson Destiny and the latest one ,the Thomson Dream .Lets be honest about the Dream , we are not paying top dollar for this cruise and the ports of call were interesting and varied. The cabins were OK spacious for 2 people ,the cleaning and cabin service was good ,and the crew very friendly. The crowd on the ship were very friendly and a good laugh ,the regular amount of jokers ,posers and complainers that make a type of cruise like this very enjoyable.
The air con broke down twice and was fixed within the hour ,the toilets failed twice and they also were fixed quickly. So the response from the crew was quite quick ,they must be like a well-oiled machine dealing with problems like these , I suppose with this ship they have become very slick , they need to be.
There does seem to be a problem with the air con all over the ship ,dining areas were very hot on occasion and we all know that when you come in from More the heat that blast of cold air is brilliant , but this was not the case , the ship was very warm.
I have to agree the entertainment was poor , not that we are bothered about that , we are visiting interesting places in the Caribbean , not listening to poor musicians and 2nd rate comics who would have been booed of the stage anywhere else , so that side of does not bother us , but it is important to some people. So I would say to Thompsons " Look after your customers more effectively on the entertainment front and update and improve the format of the shows and please , dump the comics"
If you have difficulty in walking this ship is not for you. The lift arrangement was strange , there are two lifts either side of the stairwell , of course, the opposite lift always came first , so we had to stand in the middle and dash for the lift that came first . I have never been on a ship where there is a shortage of on deck toilets like this one. By the way the only cabins that have an obscured view is on deck 10 . a little misleading by Thomson to suggest there are other decks where the view is blocked. Drinks were a bit pricy compared to last year , the Orion Restaurant was fair enough apart from the heat and the long wait for your food on occasions .There was a lack of officer visibility around the ship , I suspect because they were allowed to have their family on board for the Christmas holiday , and I suppose that's where they were most of the time.
When it came to depart the information sheets were wrong , Gatwick was listed as Glasgow ,I hope all the Scots never ended up in London and vice versa. When we went to reception the baying crowd were told was "typo, typo" ,no announcement , communications at its best as only Thomson's can do .
We were on the Lido deck where we ordered a drink , the wind blew the cruise card out of waiters hand and ended up in the ocean . Thompsons had the barefaced audacity to try and charge me a fiver to replace it .You've got to hand it to them , they don't miss a trick.
I felt sorry for the Birmingham crowd who got delayed 52 hours and joined us Willemstad, they said that Thomson's had taken good care of them and gave then £200 on board spending .
At Barbados airport the screens were all over the place , some showed the departures , some showed arrivals ,but were not updated to display the gate numbers . Announcements were over the PA ,various accents and distorted audio made it very difficult to understand , but all of us working together managed to interpret what was said.
Once in the departure lounge there was no Thomson Rep to assist customers , and advise on delays etc. Some of our older cruisers were in a state of confusion . But we helped them as much as we could by translating the almost impossible to understand PA messages.
After all said and done considering all the dramas that seem important at the time , this was a good cruise , we had fun and enjoyed ourselves, we met some nice people and visited some fascinating countries. The were some funny situations and I even saw the jail where the are holding Noriega.. Would I go again on the Dream , would I book with Thompsons again. Probably. Less

Read more Thomson Dream cruise reviews >>