Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by skyfire53: Best itinerary

Compare Prices on Norwegian Spirit Western Caribbean Cruises

Best itinerary

Sail Date: December 2011
Embarkation: New Orleans

First, this is my daughters and my second cruise, and after reading the last couple of reviews, I wonder if we were on a different cruise than them. Compared to our first one on Carnival, this one was wonderful. We found the food in the dining rooms much better than that on Carnival. True, there were a few things that I didn't really care for, but no matter where you go, you are going to find some things on a menu that you don't care for. We found the wait staff friendly, and quite efficient. My daughter had the steak every night at either of the main dinning rooms and found it tender and cooked just the way she ordered it. On Carnival, the steak they had on the daily choice was like shoe leather. She loves steak and enjoyed the fact that she could have a New York strip one night in Windows and a ribeye the next in Gardens. As for the food, come on people, this is an inexpensive cruise compared to ones like RCCL and Celebrity. If you want to have gourmet, pay extra and cruise on one More of them.

We chose this cruise for the itinerary, and were not disappointed. The ports were wonderful, some of the best snorkeling ever!!!! I was impressed with the little tent they had set up at the port were they handed out cold drinks, wet towels and even offered to spray cool water on your face if you liked. We did not do the excursions through the ship, and did not find the fact that we had to wait for the people that did do them through the ship in Belize to be a problem. If enjoying you breakfast for '½ hour more is going to ruin you vacation, I guess I have a different idea of what vacation is supposed to be all about.

The staff...On the first day, we brought our own bags onboard. As soon as we got out of the elevator, a crew member stepped up to us and asked of we would like help getting our bags to our cabin. He took our bags right to the cabin and even helped us get them in. I didn't think to get his name. All of the staff was friendly and helpful. Our room steward Krystaly was very sweet and if we asked for anything when we saw her she did it, the only thing was she didn't make sure the ice bucket was full every time she cleaned the room and after the first day, never brought back a bath mat. We also didn't get beach towels in the room on the first day and after we got some and used them, she took them away to get cleaned but didn't put clean ones in the cabin. A minor inconvenience though, all we had to do is pick up the phone and all was well. I defiantly wasn't going to let small things like that take away from how wonderful the vacation was.

The ship its self...the ship was beautiful, and for being as old as she is, looked great. Some people have complained that the décor was too much, but that is what cruise ships have always been. It was really cool that you could go and watch the captain and officers on the bridge in the viewing room through the Galaxy of the Stars. It did however seem to less stable in the water than the larger ones. The seas were very rough and ship was being tossed around quite a bit. It was kind of a bummer that we couldn't go out on the deck the last sea day, but that wasn't the fault of Norwegian or the Spirit, mother nature had a different plan. The wind was so strong and sea so rough that they even had to cancel the pub crawl. At least it didn't rain on us at the ports.

The entertainment was great. We loved the acrobat team. I still don't know how they could do their show with out falling with the ship rolling like it was. You could sure tell they were from the Russian ballet, they were so graceful. The On Broadway show was good considering two of the performers were hurt and couldn't perform. Elements, for the most part, was good. The water part was a little lame though. And, yes, they did try to sell drinks before the shows, but for the people that wanted a drink, it was convenient. I thought the way they did it was funny. The peel offs were a little annoying, but it was a very short time in the over all scheme of things. I found it much more annoying that cruisers would come in late to the show and make every one in the row stand up so they could get to seats in the middle.
Over all, this cruise was great and I will sail with Norwegian again. We liked it better than Carnival. Less

Read more Norwegian Spirit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Spirit Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Spirit

We did the Shark/Ray Alley Snorkeling and Caye Caulker Exploration through Coral Breeze Tours. They used Hammerhead Water Sports to actually do the excursion, and I cant say enough good things about them. It was the MOST AWESOME thing we have ever done. The guide was very informative. We saw so many kinds of fish and corals. We even got to see a moray eel! There were many many rays and probably about 10 nurse sharks. They were swimming around between your legs and rubbing against you, and you could even reach down and pet them. It was the most awesome time we have had in our lives. Then they took us to a beautiful little island called Caye Caulker. On the way to the island, there was a pod of about 9 dolphins, adults and babies, that started swimming and doing rolls around the boat. On Caye Caulker, we rented a golf cart and saw the whole island. We even bought grilled kabobs from a guy grilling them on the beach. If you are worried about not making it back to the ship in time, don't, they got us back in plenty of time to even do a little shopping.

Culinary Tour

(5)
We were sent a list of choices pre cruise to choose from. There were 4 of us, so we each got to choose and entre, plus we made pico and guacamole. After, we all ate our food and what food was left over was given to the local womans shelter. Matthew the owner of the acadmey was very accomodating. He picked us up at the port and even took my daughter to a shoe store to shop after the class. He then took us were we wanted to go in town to shop.

We arranged a free style tour through Christopher Tours. We got a driver and car for the day that took us on a tour of most of the island and all of the beautiful photo taking sites. All we had to do was tell him what we wanted to do and he took us there. We snorkeled off the beach at West End and it was incredible. We got to walk out to the reef in the water and just snorkel. There were all sorts of fish and corals, even a sea erchin. All in all a great day.
Read 1649 Roatan Reviews