Carnival Glory Cruise Review by gunner13: A week on Carnival's Glory

Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Carnival Glory Western Caribbean Cruises

A week on Carnival's Glory

Sail Date: November 2011

Our first cruise from Miami. The port is easy to find and by doing a little research beforehand I learned that the Port of Miami offers free parking in their lots and garages to passengers with a verified handicapped parking tag or permit. Very nice of them... thank you Port of Miami!

We have, so far, always cruised on Carnival. There is more than one reason for this but the main one has always come down to our schedule and convenience. Cost is a secondary factor and we usually book a suite - (OS)or "Junior Suite." We find the slightly larger room and balcony are nice but the biggest benefit is what Carnival terms their "VIP" embarkation and debarkation process. While Glory was very late getting started with boarding for an unknown reason debarkation, even at Miami, was as smooth and quick as possible. We are planning a trip on Holland America and that will be a two week "cruise-tour" to Alaska in 2012. I'm hoping that goes nearly so well.

Naturally the mandated More safety briefing at the designated "Muster Station" was the first "required" activity on the agenda. The poster in our cabin told us muster station "A" was the place for us to be. So we dutifully followed the map and signs to the place where a sign affixed to the overhead said "A" and figured that we were where we should be. Oh No! A crew member informed us that the sign notwithstanding we had to go further forward and stand within the "lines." That would have been OK but the place he put us was directly in front of the outflow of a fan about 8 feet in diameter which was generating a breeze of about 15 knots and was very noisy. So noisy it was impossible to hear and understand either the person on the PA system or the crew member standing a few feet away. The wind was drying out my wife's contact lenses faster than she could apply drops to her eyes so she took her life in her hands and stepped over the "line!" When the crew member rather rudely told her to get behind the line she just shrugged and acted if she didn't understand. He finally gave up and went on his way.

It was windy for the whole week. Our balcony door made an annoying whistle when the wind was from the starboard side. I finally solved that problem by closing the door on hand towels at night so it would seal better in that area. Worked fine. The cabin stewards were excellent. We were in the Golden Dining Room on the upper level. The servers, hostess, and Maitre d' were truly wonderful. I have harbored a suspicion for a couple of years that with the advent of the extra cost dining rooms that the main dining room food would suffer. This cruise bears that out. Not really bad but not up to where it was in years past. The food on the Lido Deck isn't quite up to par either. The 24 hour pizzeria has always been a favorite of ours but the one on the Glory just doesn't measure up. Maybe it's this ship, maybe it's fleet wide. We cruise just once or twice a year so we really don't have a broad base of recent experience to compare but we were disappointed in this fare.

This was the 2nd cruise in a row that Carnival failed to deliver us to a scheduled port. Last time it was Key West, this time Grand Cayman. From conversations on board I think not being able to tender in to Grand Cayman isn't all that unusual. I don't know if the decision was Carnival's or the authorities in Grand Cayman. I've been told both are the case so I don't know which is true. The high wind also cancelled my parasailing excursion on Roatan but I can't blame anybody for that. Maybe my fault for scheduling it in the first place? I will say that the on-board excursion manager, a gent from South Africa whose name I can't recall, went above and beyond for us on several occasions. His professionalism should be the hallmark for any organization where customer service matters.

Overall I'm giving Carnival a middling "B" for the experience. They deliver a good value for the dollars spent and most of the staff make everyone feel welcome and important. Less

Read more Carnival Glory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Glory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Glory Suite Empress 7249

Good cabin. Except for some a times rowdy neighbors very quiet area. I had two problems... one easily fixable. That's the door seal to the balcony. We had high winds and when blowing from the starbord quarter it caused a very annoying whistle in the door. I solved it by closing the door on some hand towels in the area where the seal was bad. The other is the layout of the vanity area/bathroom. The door to the bathroom opens into the vanity area. If someone is sitting at the vanity then the door won't open. Otherwise more than adequate and comfortable.

In Belize we took the "Belize City Tour and Airboat Ride" scheduled through Carnival. The guide for the city tour was knowledgeable and didn't try to put a happy face on a very poor city. The history is interesting and obviously important to the residents. The airboat ride was just awesome! The crews have the boarding well organized and were total professionals. The first mate of the boat serves as the guide and ours was very good. He wasn't able to find any Manatees for us, but did find some crocodiles and a wide variety of birds. The water is large enough for some high speed runs and turns - you are gonna get a little wet - and the small waterways yeild an abdundance of wildlife in the mangrove swamps. Anyone interested in nature photography will enjoy this excursion. I was surprised that we didn't see any monkeys on our tour but apparently their habitat is elsewhere.

Cozumel is one of my favorite ports. On our most recent trip my diving excursion was cancelled due to weather. We spent the time wandering around town and the port. Nice folks everywhere!
Read 3106 Cozumel Reviews

My parasailing excursion was cancelled due to high winds. My wife went to the Dolphin Encounter and thoroughly enjoyed it. We wandered around the port shops for a while - nicely done and from comments I heard, fairly new.
Read 1646 Roatan Reviews