Celebrity Infinity Cruise Review by eggplant7: Amazing Alaska!

eggplant7
Member Since 2008

Compare Prices on Celebrity Infinity Alaska Cruises

Amazing Alaska!

Sail Date: September 2011
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

I am a single woman in my mid 60's. This was my second cruise. I had previously traveled alone on a Royal Caribbean Mediterranean cruise to the Mediterranean.

I had high expectations for this trip which is something I had wanted to do for a long time. Alaska has always intrigued me.

Unfortunately, travel to our port of embarkation, Seattle, from Southern New Jersey was not well organized or planned by our local travel agent. Many of us would not use this agent again to book any cruises. I am one of them.

Once arriving at the Seattle airport, the transfer to our bus & subsequent transfer to the Celebrity Infinity ship was pretty smooth & seamless.

Embarkation was right on schedule and we were on our way.

My cabin which was shared with another single woman was overall I felt quite small. The balcony was also small.

I immediately noticed that the carpet had some stains on it. The curtains leading out to the balcony were torn & dirty More at the bottom. The balcony door was rusted & dirty at the bottom. The balcony door squeaked horribly loud when opened & closed. I had to call a few times to get service on the door which was done twice but the problem (and loud noise) remained.

The umbrella in the stateroom for our use had a hole in it & definitely was old & had seen better days.

The bathroom was very small & needed more hooks or towel bars for putting towels.

I noticed the toilet bowl rim underneath the seat was very dirty & quite disgusting. I told the cabin steward when I saw him in the ship's hallway & he immediately went to clean it.

The drain in the shower drained the water very slowly. You had to stand in the pooling dirty water during your shower before all the water would drain.

Our cabin steward, Rafael, was very good. He provided excellent service with a pleasant attitude. He was always smiling & willing to please. His assistant also was friendly & very willing to do whatever we needed.

The ship itself was beautiful. While the Infinity is due for a rehab this November in the Grand Bahamas, I felt it had been maintained well overall. On many occasions, I saw staff polishing brass rails or cleaning carpeting.

Once I got the layout of the ship it was pretty easy to navigate where I wanted or needed to go.

I enjoyed the artwork onboard & even though some of it was what I would describe as "quirky" or "offbeat" I found it interesting.

I make it a point to explore the ship when I cruise and did this on the Infinity. I like to see the Library area, Children's area, Meeting Rooms, different decks to walk on, etc.

Dining aboard the Infinity was excellent. The food was wonderful as was the service each evening when I dined in the dining room.

Each morning I ate in the Buffet and found many choices each day to enjoy. The quality of the food was very good and for someone like me who doesn't eat red meat, I appreciated the turkey sausage offered each day.

Our head waiter, Reynaldo, was outstanding. He went above & beyond the call of duty each evening to provide us with superior service. His knowledge & description of anything & everything on the menu for the meal to come & for the menu for the next day was amazing. His service was far beyond anything I have ever experienced. Our assistant waiter also was very good & aimed to please.

Entertainment in the Celebrity Theater each evening was great. I thoroughly enjoyed the shows. The entertainers were varied & each provided a different experience.

My only gripe would be that many of the seating areas in the theater were stained & dirty...not very appealing to sit on.

I took advantage of the "Celebrity Life" series whenever I could. The "Beyond the Podium" series with naturalist Don Enright was amazing. He was knowledgeable and had a great sense of humor to go along with his presentations. I looked forward to his lectures whenever they were given. I definitely would recommend this to anyone. I learned a lot.

Shore Excursions were good for the most part. Since we had rain just about every day, it did affect the quality of the experience. I looked past the weather to try to get the most out of each excursion.

In Ketchikan, the Duck Tour was good. We had high winds & driving rain so could not do the water portion of the tour. We did get a refund for half of this tour due to this fact. The tour guide was very knowledgeable & funny which helped to deal with the bad weather outside.

The City Tour of Juneau provided a good overview of the city with plenty of time for shopping.

The White Pass Railway train ride in Skagway was unbelievable and not to be missed! The scenery was amazing and I loved it!

The guide in Icy Strait Point spoke more about her personal life than I felt necessary but overall I enjoyed seeing this area. The shopping at the pier there was very nice.

I especially enjoyed the City Tour of Victoria, British Columbia. I wish I had had more time to explore this beautiful city. I definitely want to return!

I took advantage of an AquaSpa special of 7 services offered at a special price during one of our sea days. The spa visit was wonderful and I truly enjoyed being pampered for over an hour. The spa technician was professional, friendly and knew her stuff! I definitely would recommend going to the AquaSpa!

Tried to take a watercolor class given in one of the lounges. The turnout was so great that we had to sit 3 to a small cocktail table. There was not enough room to spread out with all of the watercolor supplies (kit & paper, etc.) so I left. Need to give classes where there will be enough seating for everyone to participate with enough room for supplies.

Loved the dance contest given one evening by the officers/staff of the ship. It was great to see everyone having fun and "letting their hair down." I think the event was called "Dancing with the Stars/Staff"(?)Disembarkation went smoothly and for me that was wonderful. Staff from Celebrity were visible and available to help. The process didn't take long & before we knew it we were on our bus for our return to the Seattle airport.

In summary, my first Celebrity cruise experience was a total success. I would recommend Celebrity to anyone thinking about this cruise line for their future cruise travel.

The level of service, quality of food, shore excursions, on board entertainment, lectures, classes & overall experience were all positive for me and I would go again on another Celebrity ship for another cruise in the future. Less

Read more Celebrity Infinity cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Infinity Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Infinity Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Veranda Penthouse Deck (6) 6056

Cabin 6056 Category 2B - Deluxe Ocean View Stateroom Veranda Room too small Bathroom too small Balcony too small Carpet had stains on it Balcony curtains torn & dirty at bottom Balcony door track at bottom rusted & dirty Balcony door squeaked very loudly when opened & closed. Tried to have it fixed 2 times by staff but problem still persisted. Toilet bowl rim under seat was dirty & disgusting. Had to tell cabin steward to clean it. Cabin bathroom needs more towel bars or hooks to hold towels. Notepad/pen would be useful to have on desk. Twin beds too narrow...did not seem like standard width for a twin bed! Bed was very difficult to stay in when trying to move or turn over in bed! Umbrella provided in room had a hole in it. Was also very old & worn-looking.

City Tour

(5)
Thoroughly enjoyed the coach ride highlighting the sights of Juneau. The guide was very knowledgeable and especially enjoyed the amazing Glacier Gardens portion of the tour. The all-terrain vehicle ride up & down the mountain to see the view from the top of Glacier Gardens was a highlight of this tour. Enjoyed having enough time for some serious shopping! Would highly recommend!

City Tour

(5)
Had a beautiful time here. Enjoyed the knowledgeable guide on our bus ride through this lovely city. The views from the mountain where our bus parked were amazing of the city. Had plenty of time to walk around the harbor & shop which I loved. Found the totem pole park fascinating. The Fairmont hotel lobby, shops & grounds were outstanding to see! Would love to return to Victoria!