Wind Surf Cruise Review by GARYTHEHITMAN

Cruise Date: September 2011
Embarkation: Venice
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Cabin Category: A
See More About: Wind Surf Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Windstar Cruise Deals
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

Ship Facts: Wind Surf Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Wind Surf Deck Plans
Wind Surf - Venice & Dalmatian coast
This was my sixth cruise on the Wind Surf, and in many ways the most enjoyable. My wife Linda and I celebrated not only our 44th wedding anniversary, but also my 67th birthday. We traveled with a high school friend from California and her niece (first time cruiser), and had a wonderful time.

Boarding the Wind Surf for me is always a "homecoming" experience. It seemed that the entire crew knew me by name within a few hours! Since I was traveling with 3 women, our favorite waiter "One" started referring to us as "Charlie and the Angels".

I was pleased to see that the ship was not nearly in as bad shape as I had read about in some recent reviews. True, the carpet in the Yacht Club area was stained, and the "guide book" in our room was frayed. But overall, I saw few visible signs of deterioration. There were new rattan lounges on the pool deck, replacing the previous white plastic lounges --- a nice upgrade. The exercise equipment also looked new, and I used it every morning. I have seen the renderings of the new decor that is planned for the Wind Surf, & can't wait to see it in reality.

Entertainment was mostly excellent. Our friends Craig and Nikola (aka "Rain") were in the Compass Rose, and I spent many hours listening to their musical offerings. Craig is a big fan of Dire Straits, and he uses their songs to showcase his prodigious guitar skills. Nik was also in great voice, and they have some CDs for sale in the ship's boutique. The Filipino band in the main lounge was competent, but lacked a bit in the energy department. Fortunately, there was also a British guest vocalist on board named Andrea Whitfield, who was very polished, professional, and skilled. She really knew how to "work" the room. I am hoping to seem more entertainment of this caliber on future cruises.

Our cruise featured a full night and following day in Venice prior to setting sail, which was very nice. We normally fly into our embarkation port a full day ahead of time, just to allow for unforeseen travel delays. No such need on this cruise. We were able to stroll around Venice during the morning, return to the ship for lunch, then go out again in the afternoon. Lots of walking, but with a nice respite during lunch.

As always, the food and service was impeccable. My only complaint was with the red wine, which was served at room temperature --- too warm. My wife and I were invited to have dinner with the restaurant manager, so I was able to voice my opinion to him. He agreed with my observation, said it was an area they were "working on". I thought the wine offerings were somewhat better than on some of my previous cruises, if perhaps a bit pricey.

We enjoyed spectacular weather throughout the cruise, albeit a bit on the warm side. There was also a full moon on several nights, with the moon arising over the horizon right at dinnertime. Spectacular!

The itinerary featured several small Croatian ports such as Korcula and Trogir, ending in Dubrovnik. We took two excursions. The first was the "Hilltops of Istria", featuring several very small hilltop towns --- very scenic. The second was in the port of Trogir, a bus trip to the nearby waterfront city of Split, site of the Diocletian Palace. Again, very scenic and informative.

Can't for my next Windstar cruise!

Publication Date: 10/16/11