Wind Surf Cruise Review by blondegeek: Excellent in Every Way - Rome to Venice

Excellent in Every Way - Rome to Venice

Sail Date: August 2011
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Rome (Civitavecchia)

We took the Rome-Venice cruise (Capri, Messina, Kotor, Dubrovnik, and Hvar as ports of call) as a 5th wedding anniversary. I had read reviews, which gave me opposite opinions, so I was certainly worried about the condition of the boat.

There was nothing to worry about! Everything was excellent, and as a traveling machine (I spend more time in hotels, planes, boats, and trains than at home), I am really picky.

First, the condition of the boat: It was sparkling. They clearly were paying attention to keeping the varnish new, and everything clean and dusted. The carpets had a stain here or there, but seriously, that's the worst of it.

The stateroom: WAY bigger than I expected, but it's still a cruise ship. Still small, but very functional, and for a Category B, very spacious, and the bathroom was very fancy, with marble and L'Occitane products. The bed was incredibly comfortable, moreso than the hotels that followed, sadly. My husband loved that our portholes More (remember no balconies on this ship) were down close to the water, but I know some may not like that. We did - it was a unique perspective.

The decks: For 300 people, you have so much room on the decks, there's no reason for a balcony! We really enjoyed how uncrowded the ship was (it wasn't quite full, but probably 3/4 capacity), and every afternoon and evening we enjoyed cocktails on the deck. If we'd had a balcony, we wouldn't have used it.

Embarkation/Disembarkation: Super easy, and fast. We took a private car (split with some new friends - thanks, CruiseCritic!) from Rome to get there, which was very easy. Keep in mind that there are shuttles at Civitavecchia now, and you can't go right up to the boat even in your car. Thanks for the welcome drink, Windstar, and so grateful we could sleep in just a touch on the last day (no long lines like the big ships). However, be forewarned that once you're off the ship, it can be crazy - Venice is a nightmare. Not their fault, but important to know.

The clientele: We are in our early thirties, so were were afraid there'd be no people our age. In fact, we found a pack of about 3 other couples to join in our fun, in addition to a few more couples on their honeymoons who came and went. There were truly groups of all ages (except children - none of those). We loved meeting others on the boat - mostly American, but a healthy dose of Aussies, Kiwis, South Americans, and a few Europeans. What great fun finding dining companions each night - a different experience with different groups!

The service: Impeccable - everyone remembered our names after about a day or two. Wine you don't finish is corked, and though your drinks are not included, I found that the difference (versus an inclusive cruise, and also versus the inclusive package they offered) was in my favor with Windstar. However, I am a young, petite woman (read: don't drink huge amounts, and also haven't ventured into extremely pricy wine snobbishness yet) - so some may not find this true.

Excursions: Skip 'em. I planned all my own, and they were so fun that we wound up with an immediate line of people joining on to our own excursions. The options are limited through the ship, but you will find fun by planning your own. Great ports, and loved using the ship's tenders. Great ports!

The food: Delicious, every meal - it is a cruise, so you expect excellence. The food was not 5 star, but decidedly 4-4.5 star. I enjoyed every meal, and nothing was too fussy. Breakfast was available for on-demand griddling, lunch was delicious with broad options, and dinner (four restaurants on such a small ship - amazing!) rivaled some of my favorite restaurants. Keep in mind, though, I prefer a *fun* dining experience - not a *fine* one. It is NOT casual dining, but not quite up to the Ritz Carlton, which makes it more relaxed and not so fussy. Do wear pants, gentlemen.

The entertainment: Music every night, in two locations. Nice to have the backdrop, but the best parts were definitely the staff shows! Hilarious! And yes, they have STAFF SHOWS!!

Overall: I never want to cruise with any other line again. There's nothing better than sitting on the deck with a few of your new best friends, watching those sails unfurl, with a cocktail in your hand, and Croatian mountains as the backdrop. Stop worrying, just book with Windstar...and take me, too! Less

Read more Wind Surf cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Wind Surf Review >>

Cabin review: Wind Surf Category B Deck One 141

Just above the water line - which we loved. Not all may love it. Very spacious for a cruise stateroom, desk, flat screen tv, iPod dock, plenty of storage room. Bed was REALLY COMFORTABLE!! Extremely quiet, too. Beware of the blackout curtains - they will force you to sleep in!

We took the funicular up to Capri town (beware, there may be a line - and you have to buy your tickets behind the line before entering).

We then walked down to the other side of the island to relax at Da Luigi ai Fariglioni for swimming in the Mediterranean and enjoying the craggy views. Beware that there is a charge for sunbeds and umbrellas, as well as towels. Also, if you wish to dine at the restaurant, there is a cover charge. Food was great, but many bees.

Finally, the shuttle to Marina Piccolo (NOT the cruise marina) doesn't leave until 3:30. If you have a short day, talk to the lifeguard and he can book you a private water taxi for about 20 EU per person, which can be a beautiful way back to the port.

Read 27 Capri Reviews

We went on a kayaking adventure around the old city walls, and around Lokrum Island. REALLY tiring, but worth it when Marco showed us some cliffs we could jump from! Great history on the island - it has a curse!

The kayaking was great to give a different perspective - because since we climbed the walls in the late afternoon, we could really get a good feel for where we were.

BTW, do NOT climb the walls before 4. It is way too crowded and hot! Wait until late afternoon, and you will thank me later!

We hiked the city walls, and then headed to a very "wild" beach - Galebova Stijena beach. Very close to the port city (about 5 EU for 6 miles travel). Arrange the taxi to pick you up on the return at a set time, though - because it's not easy to find one when you're ready to go.

The best part about this beach is that there were absolutely only locals. Clear, beautiful water, but a very pebbly beach so bring water shoes. Also bring snacks and drinks because there ain't much around them parts.

Read 133 Kotor Reviews