Carnival Fascination Cruise Review by SDnice

Embarkation: Jacksonville
Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: 1A
Cabin Number: U36

Carnival's lack of smart decisions strikes again
Nothing went right on this cruise from the first hours when we were delayed by high water from leaving port on time. A local man said that Carnival is moving their port to Mayport which means they will avoid having to go under the bridge to reach the current port location. Great for future cruisers, but not for us!

When we finally did depart, it was hours late and our itinerary was reversed. The first day at sea was cloudy and very windy. I saw someone lose his lunch on the deck above the pool. It was 45 min before we left and it was still there even after I told one of the crew who was cleaning rails nearby. That night the seas were rough, but not enough to cause us alarm.

I was another unhappy visitor to Nassau. I was very surprised at how run down it is and the smell of garbage was everywhere. I bought one small item and a couple of postcards and we walked back toward the ship. Because the drink prices are so high on the ship, we decided to stop and have a beer in port. What a mistake! For a draft beer, we paid $8.75. Made the ship's $6 beers look cheap anyway.

Back on board that night we stayed dressed up for the late comedy show, only to be turned away because there were no seats in the bar where it was held. On our walk to the Putting on the Ritz nightclub, the ship movement made it hard for everyone to walk without holding on to walls and pillars.

As we made our way back to our cabin, my husband overheard that we would not be stopping in Freeport the next morning. That night began the hellish waves and wind which sent the ship listing and tossing both forward and side to side. I quickly downed a Bonine even though I have never experienced motion sickness in my life. Too late for my husband as he lost his rather awful dinner in the bathroom in his first ever bout of seasickness. So much for stabilizers!

The next morning we walked past two more seasick accidents on the outside of the ship. We were finally officially informed of the change of plans to visit Freeport and that we would be enjoying yet another fabulous "Fun Day at Sea!" Yippee. My husband was green all day. I took another Bonine and attempted to make my way to the Lido for lunch. They had blocked all the doors to the exterior and no one was allowed outside. Rooms had water coming in under sliding doors. People and crew members were all sick. I saw more uncleaned seasick puddles in stairwells, some covered with cloth napkins. In the dining rooms, you had to hold onto your plate and cup or it would slide off the table. Many more events were cancelled and even some of the bars were empty.

The decision to head into the storm instead of going to Freeport seems to be a very bad one. It endangered passengers and made everyone miserable.

Our arrival in Jacksonville was yet another fiasco, as we were unable to fit under the bridge yet again due to high water from days of storms. So many people were counting on getting off the ship on time to make their outbound flights. Scores were lined up at Guest Services. We heard many stories of the uncaring attitude of Guest Service representatives. Fights were missed, people had to stay over another night, and no compensation was offered. One older couple we saw the next day in the airport had to rebook their flight at a very high cost to them. They were unfamiliar with Jacksonville so they asked where the hotels were and which ones might accommodate them. A customer service rep for Carnival told them to look in the yellow pages and that was all.

I know there are many first time cruisers who will never be back on a ship because of this experience. I love cruising, but I will NEVER consider Carnival again.

The lack of care toward their passengers' well being and the fact they put their passengers in such a bad situation would be unthinkable by other cruise lines. This was my second Carnival Cruise even though I did not like my first cruise with them on a 3 day Baja Mexico cruise. Little things like not having books in the library, cheap coffee, desserts that taste like cardboard, etc.The bad food is even worse than our last Carnival cruise in '09, the decor of the ships is so outdated. The total disregard of Carnival toward its returning cruisers is inexcusable in my opinion. Never Again!!

Publication Date: 10/16/11