Eurodam Cruise Review by alhamn: A voyage of good and bad surprises.

alhamn
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Eurodam Transatlantic Cruises

A voyage of good and bad surprises.

Sail Date: August 2011
Destination: Transatlantic
Embarkation: Dover

First: I´m Swedish, excuse me for bad english. Second: I´m a rather experienced traveller in many parts of the world. But this was only my second cruise of this kind of ship. The first was 7 days in Mediterranean on RCCL "Splendour of the Seas" (SoS. And below I compare a bit to that cruise. The Itinerary was the only reason we choosed this cruise. (We had first the idea of going the 7-days with Cunard.) The Itinerary fulfilled our expectations. (And a bit more thanks to good weather through south of Greenland.)The only port with tenders was Greenland. And there it was surprisingly slow. I could write pages about the ports. But I only say they were well choosen.

We took excursions in every port. And they varied from fantastic to boring. Sorry to say the latter outnumbered the former. Sometimes I suspect HAL had found their guides on the street.

HAL provided us with many high quality lectures in the main stage before many of our ports. They were often so popular More that the latecomers had to sit in the stairs.

Eurodam is very beautiful seen from outside. But it´s function is in many aspects inferior to the much older "SoS". Many of the open decks in front were closed to passengers. (Security reasons.) Eurodam lacks the open top-deck. Instead one open in the back, and a half-open in the middle. I did not like the layout and design of some public spaces. (Bars etc.)

First 8 nights we had a standard inside cabin. Avoid it! Fantastic large beds and good ventilation. But no floor space. Go for the large inside (with a sofa), unless you not travel with friends with larger cabin.

Last 9 nights we had a veranda-cabin. And it was perfect in every aspect. (On SoS we had the second largest suite, nr. 8000, but the much smaller in Eurodam, was in some ways better.

Food and service was superior than on the cheaper SoS. But I did not experience better food in the restaurants, Pinnacle and Tamarind, who charged extra. We had the best dinners in the main restaurant, Rembrandt. And the best service.

Entertainment had it ups and downs. Mostly inferior to SoS. Would I go with HAL again? Very probable. If they are 20% more expensive than for instance RCCL, they give you 20% higher quality. (meals, cabins and service.) Would I go with RCCL again. Yes, roughly as probable. Or I will never cruise again. (Not so probable.) Or perhaps I choose i River Cruise. Less

Read more Eurodam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Eurodam Review >>

Cabin review: Eurodam Deluxe Verandah Oceanview Verandah 5108

5108: In all aspects very, very good. 7006: Noisy AC, but very good ventilation. Fantastic beds. Nowhere to sit.

We did not like the half-naked women in the windows. And all the young tourists high on hash etc. But we liked the Van Gogh Museum.

Avoid the canal-cruising.

Dublin is always Dublin. Skip the excursions, and take the shuttle.

Read 77 Dublin Reviews

Cool place.

Read 356 Halifax Reviews

Iceland is fine, but too many cars in Reykjavik.