MSC Poesia Cruise Review by lassie79: Wonderfull ship, shame about the management

lassie79
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on MSC Poesia Transatlantic Cruises

Wonderfull ship, shame about the management

Sail Date: September 2010
Destination: Transatlantic
Embarkation: Other

When this cruise was originally advertised in Australia at a really low price we all jumped on this one. originally we were booked for the Magnifica, with a departure from Venice to New York. But after booking 3 months later were advised they had changed the departure from Venice to Kiel in Germany..but wait for it the ship also..as well as the itinerary..Most of the 1800 of us Aussies stayed with it re organising itineraries to get there. We were of course very disappointed. However such is life.

Now I must say here that the cruise ship itself the Poisia was just lovely, I think only 9 month old and very elegant indeed. The dinning experience was great plenty of variety, served hot and changed daily as were the lunch options in the dinning room. Most of the staff understood English well. The buffet was always good with a great variety my only irritation was it was not hot enough most days. The layout of the ship was great and had the most fantastic furnishings in the lounge More rooms especially the Zebra bar and the theatre was exceptionally well done. As were the pool areas and the bars. I could find no fault with the ship or the crew at all. My real complaint lay with the management of the ship. I found the desk staff rude and unhelpful..If you had a problem which i did with an overcharge in the dinning room for drinks.. I was told to go sort it out myself with the waiters. This took an hr. At ports of call the ship carried no currency for any places that had their own like Denmark. Luckily when we docked here they had free trains running into the city from just up the road from the dock as there were no atms at the port. But not always free only the first Sunday in the month. Also the cruise line provided no free shuttle or even paid shuttle service to the town in La Harve, well they put on 2 buses, most passengers stood for 2 hrs in the pouring rain drenched to the skin and gave up on seeing a bus. This was not good enough as it was 1/2 hr walking in shocking weather. The ships news letters did not give any maps or information regarding transport and very few taxis were available. Upon complaining to the desk they informed me it was not up to the line to provide any buses, but only their tours. However I made it well known this was not on, and knowing where we were docking in Lisbon, miles from town, made sure they did here as again they were not going to do a thing with regard to the buses. After that they did provide them so hope that was duly noted for their future ports of call with this line.

The most annoying thing on this 18 night cruise was they lost the satellite reception just 3 days out from the coast of Europe. So we had not tv at all for the whole crossing across the Atlantic so for 9 nights had zero news weather or anything else.. They refused to provide free movies to the cabin to compensate the passengers. But offered 2 movies on the wide screen on deck late at night, for which we had to sit out in the damp till late to watch. They kept saying they were going to fix the problem, but even when we got to Boston and then into New York they still could not get it working, until the night before we got off the ship..Very poor we all thought, and their attitude was even worse.

I know this was a trail run with all the Aussie's on board as they were wanting to break into our waters and cruise here this year. So I hope they learned a lot about customer service with all of us on board this one. I hope they learned and have taken on board the issues we had with them on this cruise.

Yes I would cruise with them again,I d give it another go.... the cabin service the food and the staff on board in all the bars( all except customer service and front desk) did their job perfectly. Maybe they should put them on the desk and get the others doing the job to clean the cabins, it certainly would be an improvement.

Most of the 1800 Australians on board this cruise I think would agree, there is room for improvement. Less

Read more MSC Poesia cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's MSC Poesia Review >>

Cabin review: MSC Poesia Superior Balcony Tasso Deck

the cabins were very good the furnishings great the balcony was good sized and you could hear no noise from the hallway or other rooms. This ship had extremely good ballast which went into action when we hit cyclone Egor crossing the Atlantic, there was very little motion considering we had 4 metre waves for 24 hrs almost no motion in the rooms and we were placed mid ship

This is a good city, clean and the people are friendly, cab from the port to town was $10, we did the silver tram hop on bus which was good and had a fun day, make sure you check out the cheers bar for lunch that was good. A must to do is the river cruise as well that was interesting. The best thing was the lobster. Down at the ferry pier there are some good cheap options for dinner and the lobster to die for its soo good. We also ate at the Old coach house on the pier, that was incredible food but expensively elegant

Read 222 Boston Reviews

Ny Haven is really cute, its in the centre of town. The port is very limited and there is no A.T.M here free wi fi area on the dock if you have laptop to use. They have hop on bus which is at the port but these are pretty expensive. there is a station not far to walk about 15 mins or so you need to walk to the main road at the top of the port entrance road turn left and walk down till you see the under road bridge across the street go under here and turn next left station is there and machines to purchase tickets. Ask for Kroner when boarding ship if they have any get in quick or you will stuck with non money to get off. Free trains to the city are on 1st Sunday of every month for the day.

The best advice I can give here is watch your purse, wallet or bag with your life. Hide everything in your undies, as it will be gone before you can blink. Seriously I warned as many as I could on this ship but still we had 5 who lost the lot credit cards, passports and all. do not put your bag under the table or on it, they grab and run like the wind. This is a city with many hands. The sights are mostly statues and shops with the odd bargain but mostly expensive. Beggars are an annoyance as well so be warned...Its worth getting off to see the city.. of course it is so don't let that put you off..just be super careful.

Read 281 Lisbon Reviews

Location fro the cruise terminal is in Manhatten so this one is easy to get around from but check where your docking the others some lines use are in Brooklynn. Pier at cruise ship terminal is 15 min walk to broadway so very central and the same distance to central park as well.do not miss strawberry fields which is on the edge of the park and the dakota building of John Lennons residence is just opposite.So much to see and do. Go for a ride by bike though central park on rickshaw its fun and very informative and I thought value for money $60 our guy was great he knew every movie ever filmed in every part of the park. The carrage rides a bit much and the rides are much shorter. Hop on hop off bus is great the grey line one is the best and starts in Times square just along from Hersheys. In the quare there is 1/2 price tickets for shows that opens at 12 but if you want to see something special see The Jersey Boys it was brilliant, booked ours on line well before and the theatre is really close to the pier so not far to walk. If you want to see the statue of liberty take the stratten island ferry, it goes right past it and its free, you need to go dowtown by train to get to the ferry terminal. Ive always felt really safe in New York walking around at night is no problem

(3)
Port area is good shops and cafes, if you want to do the hop on but offered by the port authority, be first off the ship as there a few and not many and the late ones will not get back to sail in time. The town is fairly basic with shops to the rear of the port area but will pass the day wandering round them if you choose not to go on organised tours with the ship

Read 202 Vigo Reviews