Independence of the Seas Cruise Review by Cruisyfloozie: Disappointing (compared to previous rccl cruises)

Independence of the Seas 3
Member Since 2010
1 Forum Post

Overall Member Rating

Disappointing (compared to previous rccl cruises)

Sail Date: May 2011
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Other

First the bad: Sloppy bland food in windjammer (catering for majority of passengers with dentures), bland food in main dining room, what used to be good food is now average food in my opinion. Poor service in jonny rockets (both visits dessert surrounded by dirty dinner plates)

very limited entertainment (we were told we were unlucky as entertainment staff changeover thus 2 shows instead of usual 4 on 14 night sailing)

dirty prom view windows provided "misty foggy" view (condensation and dirt on outside, we were told would be cleaned at next port of call - never happened)

Total chaos following explosion at Gibraltar. Staff advised worried parents that moved from kids club to safe location as kids club near blast. in actual fact- no kids had been moved.

Now the good:

Chops and portofino excellent

Cabin stewardess excellent

Piano man Kory Simon absolutely excellent

Manager Ash very helpful

Kids loved More activities onboard

Standards definitely slipped compared to previous cruises, but still made the best of things and had a good time. As a 33yr old young mum, I would be reluctant to sail again from Southampton as I prefer a younger dynamic. At times I felt like I was in a retirement home and I feel much of the entertainment catered for that. Less

Published 06/17/11

Read more Independence of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Independence of the Seas Review >>

Compare Prices on Independence of the Seas Europe - Western Mediterranean Cruises

Cabin review: PR7611 Promenade Stateroom

7611 and 7613. Cozy, adequate, dirty windows. Overlooks barber shop.

Read All Promenade Stateroom (PR) Reviews >>

Alicante- stayed onboard

Read 65 Aarhus Reviews

Great shopping, very classy

Read 312 Cannes Reviews

Nice shopping street

Didn't see much of Lisbon, what I saw looked run down and made me think similar to poor eastern Europe.

Read 535 Lisbon Reviews

Great port, has everything: shopping beaches nightlife to cater for all

Better than I expected. Quant town centre walking distance to ship

Read 347 Vigo Reviews

Member Since 2010
1 Forum Post
Family & Children
Value for Money
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?
Skip X