“Disappointing (compared to previous rccl cruises)”
Cruise review of Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas

cruisyfloozie Independence of the Seas 3 Disappointing (compared to previous rccl cruises)
cruisyfloozie
Member Since 2010
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating

First the bad: Sloppy bland food in windjammer (catering for majority of passengers with dentures), bland food in main dining room, what used to be good food is now average food in my opinion. Poor service in jonny rockets (both visits dessert surrounded by dirty dinner plates)

very limited entertainment (we were told we were unlucky as entertainment staff changeover thus 2 shows instead of usual 4 on 14 night sailing)

dirty prom view windows provided "misty foggy" view (condensation and dirt on outside, we were told would be cleaned at next port of call - never happened)

Total chaos following explosion at Gibraltar. Staff advised worried parents that moved from kids club to safe location as kids club near blast. in actual fact- no kids had been moved.

Now the good:

Chops and portofino excellent

Cabin stewardess excellent

Piano man Kory Simon absolutely excellent

Manager Ash very helpful

Kids loved activities onboard

Overview:

Standards definitely slipped compared to previous cruises, but still made the best of things and had a good time. As a 33yr old young mum, I would be reluctant to sail again from Southampton as I prefer a younger dynamic. At times I felt like I was in a retirement home and I feel much of the entertainment catered for that.

Independence of the Seas Cruises to the Western Mediterranean
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Promenade Stateroom

Port

Didn't see much of Lisbon, what I saw looked run down and made me think similar to poor eastern Europe.

Read 510 Lisbon Reviews
Port

Better than I expected. Quant town centre walking distance to ship

Read 340 Vigo Reviews
Published 06/17/11
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Independence of the Seas Review
Independence of the Seas Cruises to the Western Mediterranean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?