Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by Manbo: Top and Bottom 10 things on the NCL Gem

Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Norwegian Gem Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Top and Bottom 10 things on the NCL Gem

Sail Date: February 2011
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

Top 10 things we loved:

10.Blue Lagoon Restaurant. This 24 hour restaurant, was a nice change from going to the buffet for a late snack or quick bite. We have a couple nice lunches away from the buffet madness as well. Great staff, good food.

9. Great Outdoors. This patio style restaurant was very cool for breakfast or lunch when the weather was nice. Away from the pool, but a great place to eat in the sunshine. You could fill a plate from the Great Outdoors buffet or go to the Garden Buffet and carry your plate to the Great Outdoors for outside seating. Very nice!

8. Jazz Brunch. During one of the days at sea, they had a Jazz brunch in Le Bistro. The music (NCL show band) was great as was the food! We would have gone again on the trip home had they done it again.

7. Spa Pass. We loved it! A great escape to relax and unwind. Unlimited use and we made the best of it!

6. Drink prices. The prices were reasonable. $4.50 for a rum and coke and More $24 for a bucket of beer (6 bottles) is reasonable, in my opinion. I pay more then that on land!

5. Super Bowl. Even though my team lost, I felt the staff did a good job in giving us many choices to watch the game and creating a tail gate like experience!

4. Washy-washy people. Nobody wants to get sick on a Cruise and the guys spraying disinfectant at the buffets did great, very happy and friendly while keeping the ship healthy!

3. Not as aggressive! Not near the push to get me to buy, morning specials, souvenir drinks, 50-50 or bingo tickets. Thanks NCL!

2. Sinan, the cruise director. Great personality! Made it all very fun. Good job!

1. The staff was outstanding! Very friendly and helpful! Nicest crew ever.

ok...now the bad.

10. Excursion company in Tortola (the the Virgin Gorda Baths) Pretty rough outfit. Not well organized. Should be replaced.

9. Star Bar not utilized for dancing. This is the first cruise that we barely got a chance to dance. we did dance to one song. Most other cruises have an option to hear another dance band at the Star Bar. We missed this.

8. Cabin noise. Now we did have a low end cabin, and it was beside some mechanical room, but wow!!! it was noisy at night, was awaken many nights!

7. Excessive fees for some things. Like Yoga $12! Spinning $12! Massages and a few excursions.

6. Pool size. For a ship this size, the pool(s) were a little small. By 9 AM, all the deck chairs and loungers were gone!

5. Entertainment. The show band, dancers and singers were great, but the piano bar women and guitar guy were really bad. Pool band was ok. Plus some of the shows in the Stardust Theater need recycled. I mean the 70's disco show we have seen forever. plus the one male dancer's costume was so worn, it split open at the crotch!

4. Food quality...sorry, we had better on every other ship. Marinara sauce was burnt (tried it twice)sushi was pretty bad and we love sushi. Plus the Grand Dining room menu was weak at times.

3. 2. and NUMBER 1! Fox News. Every other ship we had traveled on had CNN Headline News. Not the Gem. Fox News! I tried to watch it, but it is worse then I ever would have guessed. No weather, no news stories, just political spin 24-7! There was BBC for the European passengers, and MSNBC for business, but for regular news, there was nothing. If I could change only one thing on this cruise, it would be replace Fox News with CNN Headline News. Please NCL...consider this before I cruise again! Less

Read more Norwegian Gem cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Gem Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Gem 4509

Very noisy. Beside a mechanical room.