Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by djmcm

Norwegian Jewel
Norwegian Jewel
Member Name: djmcm
Cruise Date: January 2011
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Cabin Category: OB
See More About: Norwegian Jewel Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Entertainment 5+
Shore Excursions 5+

NCL has no class
I just sailed with NCL for the fourth and final time. How far the line has fallen. On the first dress up night, there were many passengers in shorts or jeans in the Czar dinning room. Passengers in the evening roaming the bars dressed in shorts, bathing suits and collarless tee's.

The lobster served on the formal night was a half of a small lobster. You could request a second helping and you got a second half lobster. On my thirteen previous cruises I always look forward to the lobster night as my favorite meal. Not so on NO CLASS LINE (NCL).

The evening meal menu was a three course menu. Appetizer, Entree, and Dessert. I'm used to four or five course menus which would include the above and soup and salad as the additional two course. Not on NO CLASS LINE !

On the last night of our cruise we had reservations for the La Bistro. The speciality restaurant that charges $25 per person extra. Upon seating we discovered there is a additional $10 charge for Lobster or Steak. NO CLASS LINE.

Before all the shows (which were very good) the staff pushed (sold) scratch off tickets for $20. I don't know how many were sold but they had two to three people in each aisle pushing them. They also had people trying to sell a Rose to each of the couples sitting in the bars. I didn't buy one for my partner but if NCL had any class they would have given the rose without charge to the females.

NO CLASS LINE offered a tour of the galley and bridge that I would have enjoyed, but yes, you guessed it, there was a charge for it!

At lunch, and during the day I usually enjoy a glass of Lemon Aid on previous cruises, but not on NCL. Only Ice Tea was available. I asked a restaurant officer about lemon aid and was told it was not company policy, only Ice Tea! After dinner I requested a cappuccino, but again was inform there would be a charge for it.

I usually like to enjoy a drink and dance with my partner to soft music in a romantic lounge, not on NO CLASS LINE (NCL)

My biggest disapointment though was the allowed dress code in the evenings. Crusing was always special to me. Wearing a pair of slacks and shirt with a colar to dinner, or even a sports jacket made the vacation something special. If you don't want to dress nicely you have the option to eat your dinner in the buffet. NCL should discourge dinning in shorts or jeans, not allow them into the theater or on the dance floor.

Publication Date: 02/04/11