Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by djmcm: NCL has no class

5 Forum Posts

Overall Member Rating

NCL has no class

Sail Date: January 2011
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

I just sailed with NCL for the fourth and final time. How far the line has fallen. On the first dress up night, there were many passengers in shorts or jeans in the Czar dinning room. Passengers in the evening roaming the bars dressed in shorts, bathing suits and collarless tee's.

The lobster served on the formal night was a half of a small lobster. You could request a second helping and you got a second half lobster. On my thirteen previous cruises I always look forward to the lobster night as my favorite meal. Not so on NO CLASS LINE (NCL).

The evening meal menu was a three course menu. Appetizer, Entree, and Dessert. I'm used to four or five course menus which would include the above and soup and salad as the additional two course. Not on NO CLASS LINE !

On the last night of our cruise we had reservations for the La Bistro. The speciality restaurant that charges $25 per person extra. Upon seating we discovered there is a additional $10 charge for Lobster More or Steak. NO CLASS LINE.

Before all the shows (which were very good) the staff pushed (sold) scratch off tickets for $20. I don't know how many were sold but they had two to three people in each aisle pushing them. They also had people trying to sell a Rose to each of the couples sitting in the bars. I didn't buy one for my partner but if NCL had any class they would have given the rose without charge to the females.

NO CLASS LINE offered a tour of the galley and bridge that I would have enjoyed, but yes, you guessed it, there was a charge for it!

At lunch, and during the day I usually enjoy a glass of Lemon Aid on previous cruises, but not on NCL. Only Ice Tea was available. I asked a restaurant officer about lemon aid and was told it was not company policy, only Ice Tea! After dinner I requested a cappuccino, but again was inform there would be a charge for it.

I usually like to enjoy a drink and dance with my partner to soft music in a romantic lounge, not on NO CLASS LINE (NCL) My biggest disapointment though was the allowed dress code in the evenings. Crusing was always special to me. Wearing a pair of slacks and shirt with a colar to dinner, or even a sports jacket made the vacation something special. If you don't want to dress nicely you have the option to eat your dinner in the buffet. NCL should discourge dinning in shorts or jeans, not allow them into the theater or on the dance floor. Less

Published 02/04/11

Helpful? Thank djmcm

Read more Norwegian Jewel cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Jewel Review >>

Compare Prices on Norwegian Jewel Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Cabin review: OB5536 Mid-Ship Oceanview Picture Window

Deck 5, midship, didn't feel much motion of the ship although it was calm seas. The cabin was a normal cruise ship cabin but the staff cleaning it was very good. Constant supply of clean towels

Read All Mid-Ship Oceanview Picture Window (OB) Reviews >>

The Island didn't look too good, but we took a tour than included Kayak & Snorkling witch was GREAT Fun. I had never been on a Kayak before and it was easy and fun. The guide took us amoung Mangroves, discussed the environment then they took us to a great snorking beach. At the end of the tour the owners supplied us with Rum Punch and Banana bread. There was a parrot there that sat on our shoulders for pictures as we ate the bread. Very nice, good time.

Read 1029 Antigua Reviews

Visited Old San Juan, the fort. Had a Purto Rican Beer at a little out of the way shop.

Read 2194 San Juan Reviews

Took a ride on a Catameran to a snorkling beach. The ride was nice but not many fish to see while snorkling. The ride back to port ended up being a booze cruise that I liked just fine!

Took a trip to the top of the mountain for great pictures the on to Meagan's Beach for great swimming. Ended up at Black Beards Castle which was neet! We toured the Rum factory there enjoying samples, had fabulous hot dogs and Rum punch for lunch, then explored the grounds. Nice!

Read 3371 St. Thomas Reviews

Our tour took us by boat to Virgin Gorda which isn't very nice. There we visited the Baths cave witch was great. It isn't really a cave and you sometimes walk in water almost up to your knee. I would recommend anyone to take this tour. The cave was very pretty and easy.

Read 953 Tortola Reviews

Family & Children
Rates
Value for Money
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?
Skip X

See Norwegian Jewel deals up to 82% off:

September Deals
Norwegian Jewel 76% Loved It

5-day Pacific Coastal From Vancouver ***no Back To Back With 9/12/15 09/19/15 & 10/4/15***