Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by jo magee: Don't be put off booking the Queen Mary 2

jo magee
0 Post

Compare Prices on Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Don't be put off booking the Queen Mary 2

Sail Date: December 2010
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

There are plenty reviews about Cunard's Queen Mary 2 (QM2) so this review is only to add a few points for 'new cruisers'. This is a beautiful, stately ship that's not for the hyper active family but has plenty to keep most people occupied especially the more cerebral.

I booked one of the cheapest cabins and the only regret was that with a window you could gauge what time of day it was but the money I saved paid for extras on board/ shore. The cabin was good, sailing very smooth (didn't know you were actually moving sometimes), staff excellent, food very good, drinks about same price as British pub prices except wine/ champagne which were more, spa treatments way too expensive.

I worried about being 'smart enough' and having enough evening wear for formal nights. Having been in the WRAF we had to wear full length ball gowns on such occasions so that's what I expected- don't worry, you can dress up as much as you want or not at all. People dressed down in the More alternative restaurants and some ladies wore trousers or cocktail dresses on formal nights in the Britannia Restaurant.

Wouldn't book Princess or Queen's Grill as you're stuck away in your own restaurants and near top of ship which is prone to much more movement, not good for bad travellers. Mind you some people like being away from the hoi polloi and looking down on us!

Finally, I felt that this ship would be best enjoyed as a couple as the sail away parties and dancing are more romantic and fun when shared with your loved one! Less

Read more Queen Mary 2 (QM2) cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Review >>

Cabin review: Queen Mary 2 (QM2) D4174

Good size, plenty of space for clothes and people, very little noise and movement where we were. Clean and very well serviced, could do with a clock in room. Air conditioning seemed to blow directly onto me so had to leave locker door open above bed to deflect it.

Had brilliant time on Segway tour (booked on internet) which I recommend to anyone without balance problems no matter what your age. Quick tour of the island whist travelling to Segway site and dropped off in Bridgetown on way back to explore by ourselves. Very friendly and helpful people, no problems with walking around or back to ship except taxi drivers offering lifts but not annoyingly, no crime evident which is what I though there might be. Would certainly go again.

Read 702 Barbados Reviews

Beautiful island and wished I could have explored more but travelled with my sister who only wanted to go to beach. Beach was good but don't go to nearest sun loungers as boatman will push you towards his friends, turn right off water taxi and nicer part of beach. Must go back for longer visit.

Read 356 Grenada Reviews

loved the island. Had superb tour (Serenity Vacations island tour) booked it through internet so was much cheaper, took in all the sights, delicious meal in restaurant overlooking Pitons, only downside was the twisty rounds made me feel car sick. St Lucian's are great people.

Disappointed with this island it's really a big shopping mall. We weren't supposed to dock here but change in schedule meant we were last of 6 ships that day so it was understandably busy. We didn't have much time ashore so stayed in town but if you don't want to shop stay on board and enjoy a quiet ship, wish we had.

good fun, hair raising taxi ride, scruffy overall but good beaches.

Read 2323 St. Thomas Reviews