“New Years Eve Cruise”

scgirlatheart
Member Since 2008
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
My husband & I booked this cruise as a present to ourselves to celebrate our wedding anniversary. As our anniversary is on December 30th, this meant we would also be onboard for New Years Eve. This is our 4th cruise; prior to this we've cruised on Royal Caribbean's Navigator of the Seas once and Grandeur of the Seas twice. We've been to the western Caribbean, the Mediterranean, and most recently Canada/New England.

I'm in my late forties, and my husband is in his early fifties. My husband does have mobility issues and is unable to do much walking. We're not the most outgoing people, but enjoy just getting away and being able to relax. This was our first cruise without the kids.

Pretty much by the second or third day of the cruise, we had decided we would probably not cruise Carnival again. We both feel that Royal Caribbean is far superior in food, elegance, helpfulness and friendliness of the staff, and overall a better value for our money. Our Carnival cabin did have more storage space, and it seemed the room had a better layout.

Carnival Pride Cruises to the Bahamas
  • Rates
  • Service
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Balcony (obstructed views)

7A5235
This was a 7A cat. balcony room. The balcony was small, but we were still able to enjoy it. The room itself was well laid out and had plenty of storage.

Port
We had scheduled a glass-bottomed boat tour in Freeport, but were informed that morning it would be cancelled due to rough seas. It was kind of chaotic trying to re-book another tour, but after talking to the Carnival rep we decided to book an Island Tour of Freeport which would take place on a bus. I explained my husband had mobility issues and was told there would not be alot of walking.

This tour was a complete waste of money. We had maybe a 2 hour tour of the island, which really doesn't have a lot to see. Our driver mostly drove us through neighborhoods pointing out celeb's houses. We were then dropped off at Our Lucaya for more shopping, but at this point I was done shopping.

Read 1,075 Freeport Reviews
Port
We booked a private excursion through a company called A Taste of Nassau which promised a tour of the island and a lunch at a local restaurant. I had asked the operator when I booked this if there was much walking involved and told there was not. Unfortunately we found out differently that there was quite a bit of walking just to get out of the port terminal which was hard on my husband. We found out later that day that the port did operate free shuttles to the terminal for disabled people, but that information was not given to us in time to be of any use.

We got to the meeting place a little early, so I left my husband in a coffee shop while I walked around and shopped. Our guide met us at the appointed place and time, and drove us all around the island. He was very interesting and since we were the only ones on the tour we were able to stop whenever we wanted for photos. He dropped us off for lunch at a restaurant where we enjoyed conch fritters and Kalik beer. We had another hour or so of touring before he dropped us off the at the port.

He also informed us that the company was going out of business and we were the very last tour that would be given. Shame since we enjoyed this so much.

Read 4,116 Nassau Reviews
I booked the Carnival Ron Jon Shopping excursion to Cocoa Beach. I caught the 9:30 bus to Cocoa Beach, and was told the return shuttles would begin at 12:30. It was a rather chilly day there, so I shopped in the Ron Jon surf shop, walked across the street to a small shopping plaza, and then walked on the beach for a while and watched a surfing class. It didn't seem like there was much to do there, so at noon I headed back to the parking lot and waited just a short while for the return shuttle to the ship.

Published 01/05/11
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Carnival Pride Review
Carnival Pride Cruises to the Bahamas
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?