Marco Polo Cruise Review by John

Cruise Date: November 2010
Embarkation: Tilbury
Destination: Canary Islands
Cabin Category: 7
See More About: Marco Polo Cruise Reviews | Canary Islands Cruise Reviews | Cruise & Maritime Voyages Cruise Deals
Dining 5+

Ship Facts: Marco Polo Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Marco Polo Deck Plans
First and Last.
Apart from 2 three day short cruises this was our first experience of a long time at sea. First let me say that I cannot fault any of the ships crew or service received. The food was excellent and plenty of it. The down sides for us were as follows: The drinks were all very expensive and as someone else remarked the bottled water was a ridiculous price. We bought ours from some of the ports that we stopped at. We had to smuggle on some reasonably priced wine to drink in our cabin and managed to get past the check in without having it confiscated!

The entertainment got a bit boring after the third night with the same old faces and the dance routines were the same but in different costumes. There were never any great films put on at any time during the day - just really old stuff. Not having an on board cinema I would have thought that they could have found some better and more up to date films?

The days at sea between ports went on forever - and with a tiny pool that I only saw one or two people use.

One of my personal dislikes was the amount of Scots on board - sorry, but we cannot all like them! On formal evenings why do they have to wear those daft kilts?!! - We Englishmen dont come to dinner in our traditional Redcoats do we? Still, that as I said is personal and nothing to do with the cruise line.

So we were glad to get back to Tilbury. The final bill was pretty steep even though we had tried to keep our drinking to an unfun level and then of course they take about £150 for tips as well - which one member of the crew told me they dont ever see? Maybe we are hard to please? But I did try hard to enjoy this holiday but by the end of the first week I was going stir crazy. I dont think we would ever go again and certainly not for two weeks.

Publication Date: 11/28/10