Marco Polo Cruise Review by Pete Wrighton: Our 1st cruise. Can only get better...... I hope

Pete Wrighton
0 Post

Family & Children 5.0

Our 1st cruise. Can only get better...... I hope

Sail Date: October 2010
Destination: Baltic Sea
Embarkation: London (Tilbury)

We recently returned from the Scandinavian Capitals and St.Peterburg cruise on 4th - 16th October.

This was our first cruise and frankly, had we had not spoken to a number of fellow passengers on the ship, it would have been our last.

We were told not to judge this ship with others.

Firstly, l would like to say that the ship was very clean and the crew were all friendly and helpful. I wish the rest of the cruise had been as positive.

On day one, we had a lifeboat drill and had to meet at the Marco Polo lounge. When we neared the Captains club, I commented to my wife that l could smell cigarette smoke. When we entered the Captains Club, there were dozens of people smoking. We were both disgusted at this being allowed inside of the ship.

The only way to the Marco Pole lounge was through this disgustingly smelly room.

The food on day one was excellent, getting worse by the day...

More often than not the food was warm More bordering on cold. Fresh food was out of the question. The Marco Polo Bistro was open from 06.30 - 07.00 for drinks and then open at 07.30 for breakfast. A couple of people told us that the fried eggs were being put out before 07.00am. As you can imagine they were not upto much at 07.30.

One night there was a German theme. It appeared that sausages and frankfurters were being cooked to order. By the time we had put some on the plate with some watery salad and sat down, these were cold. How, l don't know.

Fresh fruit was ok on day one and went down hill each day. It appeared that all of the fruit was loaded in England and no new supplies were picked up after that. We don't actually like black bananas.

Every day for afternoon tea were the same dried out sandwiches and cakes galore. It would have been nice to have been served a few savouries, especially as my wife is Diabetic and all that was on offer were sugary cakes.

I can't imagine us sailing with Cruise Maritime again, which is a pity because our next cruise is/was going to be to the Norwegian Fjords.

I just hope our next cruise will not be as disappointing as this one... Less

Read more Marco Polo cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Marco Polo Review >>

Cabin review: Marco Polo Caribic Deck 218

Cabin was small but adequate. Nice and clean. Tea making stuff would have been nice. In the bowels of the ship. Lot of noise until around midnight and again from about 05.30. Crew working l think. Not other passengers