Celebrity Century Cruise Review by szdiver

Celebrity Century
Member Name: szdiver
Cruise Date: November 2010
Cabin Category: PS
See More About: Celebrity Century Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals
Entertainment Not Rated

We met the legends of Doo Wap - what an amazing journey!
We love rock n roll cruises, so decided to hop aboard when a familiar TA advertised this one for Doo Wap entertainment. We booked a Royal Suite since we had invited a friend from California to go with us. We are from Ky. We stopped the night at the Embassey Suites Airport in Miami since this is where a lot of the people who had booked were staying for the night. Am I glad we did! Jimmy Jay and his lovely wife JoAnne and Chris Edwards White (DJ) and Patti were all there as well as several of the groups entertaining us - Teenagers, Dubs....and they decided to do a live broadcast from their room that night. It was great fun and we stayed up way too late.

The next morning we were transferred to the ship, where we did not wait in line more than 5 minutes. On board, we went directly to our room - #1049 and dropped off our hand luggage and then went to the lunch they had prepared. The first order of business after lunch was collecting our arm bands to get into all the wonderful concerts and attractions. Since we had a penthouse, we got front row seats on all concerts, which was fine with me. We were in the crystal room and everything was on a level with us.

After the mandatory life boat drill, everyone met up in the crystal room for a welcome aboard coctail party. This 5 days, someone, somewhere was always giving out free drinks, so we never went without. LOL

We got to our room and we changed out the liquor for rum, since I love rum punch and it was free. Of course we would have a few parties.

Dinner that night was fun with meeting our tablemates, who happened to be a newleywed couple and family of Jimmy Jay, so our table was rockin....

The show on the ship that night was Cleveland Still and the Dubs and the Legendary Teenagers - WOW! All I can say is I hope to be that active in a few years when I attain that age. The energy was electric!

I guess I should say here that we did not get to any of the shows Celebrity put on mostly because we were busy with our group.

Day 2 - Tuesday - In the morning we had a doo wap boot camp rehersal where passengers were taught how to present a song on stage and back up a song. We had a great time and Brookland Bridge used our room for rehersal, since it was big and Peggy & I offered it. It was a day at sea and our first party in our room after the rehersal. Our butler, Paul, arrived 15 minutes early with 6 pizzas, cheese trays and punch, as well as cokes to mix with the rum and scotch and vodka. Neighbors were invited, as we knew it would be loud for a few hours. Jimmy Jay and Chris White held the first ever broadcast from a ship in our room and everyone of the entertainers were there. WOW! was I excited! Peggy and I had a blast meeting all the legends of Doo Wap and we were spellbound. Peggy is our friend from California and a wonderful person. I know they advertised that there would be interaction with bands and passengers, but WOW! This was great! Guess I was excited. LOL

We were invited to eat with an officer that evening, so Peggy and I weren't able to be in the doo wap concert, as we arrived a little late. However, we had a wonderful dinner with the Hotel Director and he answered a lot of questions for us. I wonder how much they really enjoy these dinners themselves.

The Boot camp opened the show for he Contours featuring Joe Billingslea and again, what can I say? Those guys can really sing! Still! You would think they would be tired by now, but no way! We got to bed a little late again.

Day 3 was Roatan Honduras and we all decided to go to Fantasy Beach Resort (I found it on the boards) I talked them down to $15 pp instead of $25 pp and we had 11 people with us - Our three, Chris White & Patti, Tom Garret (Spooky) and Diane, Jimmy Jay and JoAnne, ouch! I am forgetting someone! I will hear about this later I know. Anyway, the beach was not crowded at all and had all the food and drinks we needed or wanted. There were monkeys in the trees who loved the drinks and we got great pics of everyone with them. We saw iguanas walking on the beach and in the trees and it was a great place. Everyone got into the ocean and were singing songs and having a great time, when we heard another group singing. Wouldn't you know it? A group from Norway were also on the beach from our ship and they owned a radio station in Norway. Of course we invited them to the next party. It was a wonderful day and we headed back to the ship.

I checked out the pasta bar upstairs and had some great spegetti. Afterwards, we got ready for supper and headed to the Crystal room for the rewind dance party with Jimmy Jay. Bobby Valli did a fantastic tribute to Frankie Valli and I was able to be one of his backup dancers. Isn't that great?

Can't tell you how much I admire him. It was one of the highlights of the trip.

Day 4 was Cozumel and we all got off the ship and met up at Carlos & Charlies for a party with everyone. Jimmy Jay and Chris White were DJs there and got everyone hopping. Of course, there was the "normal" drinking involved and some of us (won't name names) got under the pouring of drinks and danced their best. Another wonderful memory. A rickshaw got us back to the boat. I am sure there are lots of pictures I don't remember getting taken that are on facebook. LOL

Tonight was a tribute to Johnny Maestro - Grace, his wife, was also on board with us. It was very moving and beautiful. Afterwards, The brooklyn Bridge entertained. Wonderful! as usual.

Day 5 - another sea day and I offered our room for another broadcast. The butler, Paul was wonderful with pizza and cheese trays and champayne for everyone, as well as finishing up the liquor we had. People kept bringing bottles and we accumulated quite a bit by then. I think they were having a good time in our room, as we had about 80 people there both days. Part of the Brooklyn Bridge were in our hottub on the deck. How cool is that?

We had the autograph session in the morning before our party and a question and answer session with the stars. We had dinner in Morano's and asked for Steak Diana, which was cooked at our table and was excellent! What a wonderful time we had. The last evening was a farewell jam session with everyone doing their own thing with each other. Bobby Valli was back up singer for Dubs, and so on. Bo Henderson (former lead singer for the Temptations was also on board. Tom Garret who sang Spooky was another of the great entertainers...Mike Miller.....you never knew who was going to show up.

The ship turned off the power at last just to get us all to leave...LOL - no one wanted to go. We all adjourned to Jimmy Jay & Jo Ann's room for a last night drink and went to bed afterwards. (in our own cabin of course)

With the arrival in Miami, the fun was over for this time and we all said our goodbys. It was a really wonderful trip and we had a great time. Where is the next one - sign me up!

I know I haven't said much about the ship and personnell, but everyone was great and did an excellent job. The room was very big and we had a hot tub on the balcony which was put to use frequently. The kitchen was handy with that refrigerator and micro wave for popcorn and the room attendant was well worth giving extra tip, which we did. Paul our Butler went beyond what we asked and of course, he also got extra. Anything else, just ask.

Publication Date: 11/19/10