Independence of the Seas Cruise Review by J. Anderson: KIDS GALORE!!!!!

J. Anderson
0 Post

Compare Prices on Independence of the Seas Canary Islands Cruises

KIDS GALORE!!!!!

Sail Date: November 2010
Destination: Canary Islands
Embarkation: Southampton

This is the first Royal Caribbean cruise we have taken and definitely the last.

The ship is beautiful and the cabin good although rather dated, needs updating rather like an old fashioned hotel, but very clean and plenty of room. We chose to have a balcony which was just as well as there is nowhere else to sit and read a book. We were very lucky with our neighbours as they did not smoke and were quiet, I think it could have been a different matter if they were noisy smokers.

The main body of the ship is very good and the amount of glass and chrome makes it very attractive, however the people on board certainly are not. There were some very rude and loud people who seemed to think that everybody wanted to share their children. We chose to have My Time dining which works out a lot more expensive as you pay up front for your gratuities. I thought that by being able to pick a late dinner i.e. 8.30.p.m. there would be a nice peaceful atmosphere, how wrong I was the More dining room was heaving with children, babies crying and pushchairs. One night my Husband and myself were seated at a table for two minding our own business when a woman parked a push chair next to my elbow, she was rummaging around in the attached bag and I thought she was just looking for something, how shocked was I when she put the brake on and started to walk to a table some way away from the pushchair. I called after her asking her to remove the pushchair (and it turns out there was a baby in it) to which she called me names which are unprintable. She eventually took the child and pushchair and we were left in peace, I was so upset that I really did not enjoy me dinner.

We tried had to find a suitable area to sit and read, but there was only one place and that was a through corridor with a few upright seats where all the older people gathered. We are not old but just wanted somewhere to sit in peace and quiet. Even the library was packed with like minded people so unless you got there at the crack of dawn you stood no chance of getting a seat.

The food was OK, not restaurant quality more like a good bistro/cafe, the meals themselves seemed to go downhill throughout the ten days aboard. The Windjammer was a joke not only could you not get a table but you were falling over pushchairs, highchairs and any other items needed for babies and the crying would drive anyone to leave as soon as they could. The parents of these children didn't seem to have any control and even worse didn't seem to care that they were screaming and bawling.

Anyway enough of that on the plus side the staff were very polite and helpful and our cabin attendant, Clive was brilliant always cheerful and willing to be of any help he could.

The ports of call were a bit hit and miss, but this is not the fault of the cruise line so I am not going to labour this point.

All in all the ship is mostly lovely but leaning far too much towards children and their needs and certainly not enough for the older client.

We did complain but the reply was that it was a ship aimed towards families and I got the impression that they were really not interested in my comments so we shall definitely NOT BE GOING ON ROYAL CARIBBEAN AGAIN!!!!! Less

Read more Independence of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Independence of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Independence of the Seas Superior Oceanview Stateroom Deck 7 8350

Good size, nice and quiet, did smell from time to time of sewage.

Very well organised apart from trying to find our cases on disembarking.