Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by pfflyernc: Nothing Like Starting at the Top!

pfflyernc
Member Since 2010
1 Post

Compare Prices on Freedom of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Nothing Like Starting at the Top!

Sail Date: November 2010
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

Where to start?

Confession: I've never even seen, let alone been on, a cruise ship. So maybe I have a touch of newbie-itis. But Freedom of the Seas isn't a ship; it's a floating all-inclusive resort hotel. It's got several pools and hot tubs, most of which have their own bars; a separate water park for kiddies; a miniature golf setup; a minibasketball court; a standing wave for surfing; an *ice-skating rink*; a movie theater; a Broadway-style theater; a ton of restaurants (many of which are free); an indoor mall that runs most of the length of the ship; a library; a board-game room; an arcade; a helicopter pad; a solarium; a full-service spa; a workout room; a casino; a photo studio; and lord knows what else. Talk about decadent. Seriously, the hardest decision we made each day was "should we try a new restaurant today, or just go back to the Windjammer?" Hot and cold running activities 24/7, especially if you like shopping and/or dancing. We had a nice room with private More balcony, and from what I could see of the suites, they were primo. I can't imagine the logistics needed to pull all this off.

Anyway, embarkation went smoothly for us--we were in our stateroom within 1 hour after arriving at the pier.

We had to skip one of our scheduled ports of call (Coco Cay, RC's own private island in the Bahamas) because the weather was too rough, but that was OK--we got another day at sea! So we had 3 sea days, 1 day at St. Thomas, 1 day at St. Maarten, and another 2 sea days. I was pleasantly surprised that I never got seasick, despite the bad weather, and now I'm having trouble getting my "land legs" back. And I miss going to sleep to the rocking of the boat. Still, it was rough, and I know that lots of folks were sick and had other excursions cancelled.

The service was impeccable throughout, from the "world's smallest captain" (Capt. Kasselas) to the cruise director (Graham Seymour) to our room attendant (Savio Gracias). We ate in the dining room only once (I hate eating with strangers), but that seemed top-notch, also. The offerings at Portofino's and the Chops Grille were outstanding.

The morning we got back, we took one of RC's excursions, an air-boat ride on the St. Johns River in Florida. We saw lots of alligators, ospreys, egrets, herons, bald eagles, etc. It was beautiful but short. Not sure it was worth the $, but the tour guide was informative and funny, and the transition from the ship to the tour bus, and then on to the airport, was seamless.

I do think we went at the right time of year for a cruise--kids were in school, so there wasn't a lot of noise, competition for activities/elevators, etc. The ice show and other performances were excellent, and the trivia challenges were fun!

I really can't recommend Royal Caribbean enough. And now I sit in my office on this gray day. Wanna go back! Less

Read more Freedom of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Freedom of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Freedom of the Seas Superior Oceanview Stateroom Deck 6 1570

Great cabin--closer to the forward end, not much noise, great view from balcony.

St. Maarten is gorgeous. Looks like I imagine Hawaii to look--wild, mountainous, lush with flowers, etc. We took the Butterfly Farm/Marigot excursion, which is a bus tour all the way around the island, so we got to see both the French and Dutch (now independent!) sides. The highlight was the butterfly farm. Stunning. It's a real shame that both sides don't play up their historical aspects.

St. Thomas didn't really impress me--it reminded me of Myrtle Beach. Not much to do if you didn't want to shop or do water sports. I had done up a walking tour for us of the historical/botannical places to see in Charlotte Amalie, and we took the tram ride up to Paradise Point, so that was good. It was cold and cloudy, though!

Read 2333 St. Thomas Reviews