Carnival Glory Cruise Review by MyfirsttimeonNCLDawn

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Glory Cruise Review by MyfirsttimeonNCLDawn
Carnival Glory
Carnival Glory
Member Name: MyfirsttimeonNCLDawn
Cruise Date: July 2010
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Canada & New England
Cabin Category: 8D
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Dining 5+
        13-15 5.0

A glorious good time on the Carnival Glory.
We had a glorious vacation on the Carnival Glory. This was my 2nd time on a cruise ship. Last year I cruised with NCL on the Dawn to Bermuda on 8/09. It was a 7 night trip. I enjoyed the cruise so much that I wanted to try another cruise this year. I made my reservation for the 7/26/10 5 night cruise from NYC Pier 88 to St. John, NS and Halifax NS. I made my own travel reservations and I had to take what ever rooms were left. I was lucky to choose 8355. One deck up was the Red Sail 24 hour buffet and Lido deck with pool. It was a good location to navigate around the ship. The self service laundry and iron room were only a few doors away. I used the laundry. The room was a short walk to the elevator. I had to research the ports. I did that on the computer and purchased a few books. I had only one month to pack. I took one carry on luggage and a large purse and handbag. I still brought too much. I did not use two tops. I wish I would have brought more solid tank shirts and a pair of sweat pants. Also, Dial bar soap and instant high quality coffee.

On 7/26/10 Monday, I called Ollie's cab to Pier 88. We got there after 12 noon. We were on the ship by l:00. We were told that our room was not ready until l:30, we tried our room key anyway. The room was ready. The room steward, Mr."C", knocked on our door right away. He opened up the safe for me, put on the a/c, and opened up the mini bar. I told him to take out the contents so I can use the fridge for my water. We were told to go to the Red Sail buffet. So we walked up one flight of stairs and went to lunch. We went to the pizza station and found a nice table. Then we bought our soda cards and two Carnival soda cups. We found the Mongolian wok and the burrito bar. After lunch, we went to deck 14 to look at the water slides, mini golf, volleyball and basket ball, outdoor movies, and listen to music. We went to our room to sit on the balcony and look at the NYC skyline. We saw the Intrepid museum from our balcony. We went to the room to unpack and wait for the announcement to go to the muster drill. We were one of the first to go to the muster drill. It was very unorganized and I did not see anyone taking attendance. You could bearly hear instructions on the loud speaker. We went back to the room to get ready for dinner in the Golden Dining Room. We had Freestyle pick own time dinning. We went to dinner at 6PM. We were seated immediately.

Food-Golden Dining room-Dinner only freestyle Your time dinning. Lunch buffet Red Sail and one day Platinum Restaurant Aft lower level. Breakfast, Red sail buffet, room service one day and one day Platinum Restaurant.

Show Theatre-Much smaller than NCL, seating was small couches. Pools- 4 pools. Matthew used Lido deck pool, cold and salt water. He swam one time.

Pool side movie theatre-Did not use. No live music by pool. Music was played using dj or radio. Mini golf, volleyball and basketball deck 14 next to smokestack. Matthew used the quiet serenity area.

Food-Every night we ate at 6. Every night at 11:30 there is homemade cookies and brownies at the buffet.

Day # 1 7/26/10 We got to Pier 88 at 12. Got on the ship at 1:00. We had the muster drill. The ship left NYC at 5:40. We saw the Intrepid, Circle Line, NY Waterways, Empire State Building, Manhattan skyline from our balcony and Lido deck. It was a beautiful 80 degree day with sunny skys. The pool water was cold. Matt swam. We ate at the Red Sail. Excellent burrito bar, Mongolian wok, ice cream and pizza. The room steward was excellent. He opened the safe, mini bar and turned on the a/c. We went to the mini golf near the funnel, basketball, volley ball, theatre outside. We ate in the Golden dining room. Matt ate a full rack of ribs. We had chocolate melting cake . Went to the show. No waves calm seas slept for 7 hours.

Day # 2 7/27/10-At Sea 7:30 went to Red Sail breakfast buffet, very good. View of the Atlantic and music. Went to room to bring Matt food. Went to gift shop $10 sale and raffle. Put on my tiara and went to Cruise Critic meet and greet at Creams. 11:00 back to room. No water flushing. Went to Red Sail. They have no water at Mongolian Wok. We ate at salad bar. I went to cooking demo. They gave samples of soup and salad, it was good. I went to ice carving demo by pool.It was nice. I got a free post card and deck of cards from customer service. I did laundry. I ordered room service for Matt. He had a burrito, salad and vege. sticks. We ate at the Golden Dining room. We had Prime Rib, stuff mushroom, Greek salad, cherries jubilee. I saw the 8:30 show. It was an excellent Vegas show. USA theme and sing and dance.

Day # 3 7/28/10-St. John Canada I went to the breakfast buffet had French toast. Beautiful 65 degree and clear weather. I left the ship at 9 am. I got on the two hour bus tour. A girl from OH sat next to me. We saw the small marketplace, the Reversing Falls, (were calm). Back to the ship to find Matt. We went to the lunch buffet. We had salads. We went to buy photos, add one ticket to bus tour on Thu. Went back to room and sat on balcony. Took photos of bag pipers and flags out side of ship. Little black seals swimming near pier. Set sail. Went to Golden for dinner. I had fruit plate, mozzarella sticks, flat iron steak, red potato, broccoli, carrots, tiramisu and cappuccino. Excellent food and service. Waiters danced and sang on the tables. Very nice, Went to magic show. Excellent. Vegas show. Best show so far, Justin Illusion.

Thu. July 29, 2010 - Day 4 Halifax, NS Matthew and I went on the three and a quarter excursion bus tour. We saw Peggy's Cove and Pier 22 marketplace. Breakfast was at the Red Sail. Matthew joined me on a bus tour today. He learned there is nothing to do when we are in port. It was 60 degrees and light mist rain. We took a fancy coach bus tour by Grey Line. We went to Peggy's Cove to see the light house and beautiful scenery. I got Matt a frozen scooter pie for $1. We saw lobsters, beautiful rocks, and a friendly seagull and took photos. Our guide was nice and he sang and told stories. We got off the bus and went to pier 22, to our ship. We got on the ship and as we were going to pull away the bag pipers came out kilted and played for our ship. The flags also came out. We saw all of this from our balcony. This was also done for our ship in St. John, NS. We felt very welcome in Canada. I liked this port better than the first one. I went to the Carnival Travel Seminar. Today I got a Late at Creams it only cost me $5 and it was just ok. That night we went to the Golden and had Chateaubriand (excuse my spelling)steak. I went to the show. It was a talent show put on by the guests. After that there was a family party and I danced there. There was a midnight Mexican Buffet. I did not go.

Day 5- At Sea-Friday. I found out about the Platinum Rest. being open for breakfast and lunch and tea. I went to the Platinum for breakfast and had egg beaters and cheese omelet and Belgian waffle tips and tea. I went to the TV theme song trivia contest. Met nice people and won a ship on a stick. I won and another guest won too. Molly the Asst. Cruise Director was nice. I went to the towel folding demo, nice. For lunch we went to the Lido deck to the Chocolate buffet at noon. They had ice cream swans, chocolate fountain, cake, homemade candy. This was the best chocolate buffet I have ever seen. At l: 00 I went to Platinum for lunch. I had spinach ravioli stuffed with mushrooms in cream sauce and hot tea. At 3:30 back to Platinum for teatime. It was great. I met a lady from NJ, nice. They served tea and cakes and fruit. At 5:00, there was a party but I did not go. At 6pm, we went to the Golden for dinner had chicken. I went to the Just Rock show. I loved the show.

Sat. Day 6-NYC-Saturday. I woke up at 6 am.I went to the Red Sail for tea and toast. We walked off ship. Food Review: Excellent 5 star food. I ate in Golden Dining Room, upper level deck 4 every night for dinner. We were seated immediately and no waiting. We had Dining Your Way (freestyle dining). We could eat anytime from 5:45 to 9:30 each night. We always ate at 6 pm. We were always greeted and shown to a table for two. My chair was always pulled out for me, a napkin was pulled out and handed to me, and a menu was given to me. We were always asked to purchase bottled water, and drinks. After the third night, they knew we had soda cards and did not push the water and drinks on us. I ate the following for dinner: Night #1, beef lasagna, night # 2, prime rib, night #3 flat iron steaks, night #4 chatubriund (excuse spelling) and night # 5 chicken. My favorite meal was the prime rib and my least favorite meal was the chicken.

For breakfast- Day #1, 2, 3 and 5 breakfast buffet at the Lido Deck 9 at the Red Sail. They had eggs, hard boiled eggs, pancakes or French toast, bacon, potatoes, great cheeses, great fresh fruits, frozen bagels, muffins, cold and hot cereal. Day #4 sea day, I went to the Platinum lower, restaurant. It was great. I had egg beaters with cheese and Belgian waffle points and hot tea. I was served right away. I took photos of the aft view of the waves. For teatime-The ship offered this twice. I only went to the teatime on sea day # 4. It was great. It was at 3:30 in the Platinum lower dining room. I was seated at a long table with other people. We were served tea. We were served strawberries, cakes, and cookies. Around 4:00 we left.

Chocolate Buffet-This was offered on day 4 at 12 noon. It was on Deck 9 at the Red Sail Buffet. I took photos of the cakes. They had cakes, fruits, handmade candies, ice cream swans. It was great. I have never seen such a great chocolate buffet.

Lunch- On day 1, 2 and 3 I ate at the Red Sail buffet. My son enjoyed the Mongolian wok, burrito bar and pizza parlor. He went there the day I went to St. John. The Red Sail buffet had a lot of salads, fruit and cheese. I did not like the hot dishes they had. People liked the hot food there. I went to the Platinum for lunch on day 4.

Midnight Buffet-Mexican Buffet. I did not go because it was late at night and I was full and seasick. This was on the third night of the cruise at the Red Sail Buffet on Deck 9.

11:30 snack each night- I went a few times to the Red Sail at Deck 9 and a table was set up with homemade cookies and brownies to take to your room. It was great. I did this once.

Room Service-I ordered this once on Day 3 when we got to St. John I wanted to get off the ship fast to get to the tour. I filled out a card the night before. They came early and we got bananas, coffee, and cereal. I ordered for my son for lunch one day the burrito, ceaser salad, and vegetable sticks. They came right away.

Creams-The coffee shop located on deck 5. This is the ship’s version of Starbucks. They charged me about $5 for a hazelnut late. It tasted just ok to me. They added a tip.

Soda Cards-Good deal.

Compare Food on Carnival Glory vs. the food on NCL Dawn- The food I ate on the Carnival Glory was 5 star gourmet foods all around. I did not like the coffee at all. Bring your own instant coffee from home. The cakes were French pastries and high quality. It was hard to get soda for breakfast and lunch as the bar at the Lido deck was not open. They would not like to fill up the soda cups. At the shows, I was not asked every night if I wanted a drink. I never had to wait for a table. The waiters brought the food right away. The service was great. The food on the NCL Dawn was they wanted you to spend money in the pay extra restarants to get a good meal. I did like the coffee at the Blue Lagoon it was drinkable. I liked the chicken sate, the Greek salad, chicken soup; the chocolate buffet was no big deal. I did like the NCL Room Service better as they had a better menu. I liked the bar service better on NCL no problem with the soda card and unlimited soda cup. On the Dawn I had to wait a few minutes for a table. The waiters were slow.

Entertainment- I did not go to the late night clubs as I was very sea sick. I went to one “Family Hop” in the lounge area. There was live music and I danced. The show lounge was smaller than the NCL Dawn. The seats were couch like seats. My favorite show was “Justin Illusion”. My next favorite show was the last show that had songs from “Abba” and Saturday Night Fever” called Just Rock. My least favorite show was the first night show called Welcome aboard Show. We met George our Cruise Director. He was very funny. There was one musical number that was good. Then he introduced two comics. People started to walk out, including me. The next night we saw a show called Living in America. This was a good Las Vegas Show. On Wed. July 28th we saw my favorite show of the cruise called Justin Illusion. The next night, Thu. was called “Show case of Stars”. I was shocked that Carnival used one night to show a guest Talent Show. We paid money and should have been given another show. This show should have been part of the daytime activities. On Friday we saw a great show called Just Rock. It was a Las Vegas type show. Carnival uses recorded music by pool. They have two water slides and more pools. They have sea side theatre. They have mini golf, volley ball, basketball, serenity area, People get dressed up every night. Younger crowd. Can go alone and not feel alone. Gourmet Food. Gourmet deserts. Waiters dance and sing for you. In room, new flat screen TV. Self service laundry room. Less fancy ship. Pay for sea sick meds. Poor ship layout. Unorganized ship safety drill. Hard to find deck 3 to get off the ship. Water pipe broke for one hour. Shows not as good as NCL. No wait for a table and fast service. Room steward introduced himself right away. Cleaned room twice a day, always left towel animal, mint and Carnival Capers. Family friendly ship. Not many seniors. Kids welcome. People dress up every night. Coffee terrible. Pay $4 for sea sick meds. Bring your own bar soap, instant coffee, sea sick meds, hand held games, and laptop. Carnival captain and crew did not attend cruise critic meet and greet. Did not provide a meeting room or refreshments. Not pushy with bingo, photos or drinks. No pushy announcements to spend money. Better cooking demo as they gave free samples. Carnival has a superior choice of foods. They have free sushi, fish and chips, ice cream, pizza, salad bar, late night cakes, Mongolian wok, burrito bar, deli and a great 24 hour buffet.

Ice Carving Demo-By the pool, this was great. Cooking Demo-Emerald Steakhouse, great, the chef gave us samples of soup and salad. On NCL we did not get any samples. Towel Folding Demo-Great, this is hard to do, Room Stewards walking around to help us, display of beautiful towel animals. Carnival did a better job than NCL. TV Theme Song Trivia- I won this. I got a gold plastic ship on a stick. There was another winner too. Molly the Asst. Cruise Director was nice. NCL did not have this. Future Cruise Talk- I went to this. Travel tips. Cruise Critic Meet and Greet-I went to this and met the ladies form the website. Nice people. Room Choice- We had room 8355, a balcony room on deck 8 aft. I feel that if we had an inside room we may have not felt so much of the waves or herd the fog horn go off every minute. I may try an inside room next time because I get very sea sick. This room had small old beds. It felt like the beds had a hole in the middle. NCL had a big beautiful beds with a high mattress. Our balcony chairs had cigarette ashes on them. The glass on the balcony was dirty. I liked the NCL room much better. This time we had a better location, we were near the buffet, lido pool, elevators, stairs, and laundry room. We had a great flat screen TV on Carnival and a better room steward on Carnival. NCL had old TV sets. The balcony light did not work, we could bearly hear announcements in our room. We only got one bar of soap for 3 days. Bring your own favorite bar soap from home. The TV picture was too dark. The water pipe on the ship broke for about one hour. We always had problems to get the room key to work. The room steward was great he cleaned twice a day, left a towel animal every day, mints and a ship newspaper each night. He left us shampoo and toothpaste samples twice. We left an extra tip for the room steward as he deserved it.

The Layout of the ship- Not good. You can’t go from Aft to fwd very easily. You had to take an elevator, get off, walk. I just read from other reviews that you have to go to deck 5 to go from fwd. to aft. More signs are needed.

Muster Drill-Very confusing, they did not take attendance, they did not make you use life vests. The lifeboats didn’t look the greatest. You could bearly hear instructions on the loudspeaker. How often do they test the lifeboats? On NCL the muster drill was very organized. They took attendance, they made you use the life jackets, the lifeboats looked new and clean and you could hear all the instructions. They told us they take the lifeboats down every week.

Getting on the Ship-Easy. We arrived at pier 88 after 12 and by l:00 we were on the ship and in our room. Carnival did not force me to give my son charging privileges. NCL did.

Getting off the ship-Easier than NCL and no crowds. The problem is we were told to go to deck 3 but could not exit because it was closed. We followed the crowd to deck 2 and got off no problem.

Teens and Arcade- Better on Carnival. Use room key to buy tokens. On NCL used room key and no tokens, this added up to a big bill. Carnival better. Bring your laptop and PSP and save money.

Value- Book early to get the best price. I booked only one month in advance so I paid the list price. I did get $80 room credit because I booked online. All the websites had the same price as the Carnival website. I paid $1000 less for the Carnival Cruise than the NCL cruise. But, the Carnival cruise was shorter. I get sea sick so I was fine with a 5 day trip.

Shops- Disappointing. The Carnival store did not have a lot to choose from. The NCL ship had a huge gift shop and a big selection and I spent a lot of money there. The jewelry shop was no big deal. The NCL gift shop was much better. On Carnival I never saw the shopping consultant. On NCL we saw the shopping consultant on ship TV.

People- Cruise Critic people, lady from Washington state, PA people, NJ people. People that worked on the ship were nice. A lot of people travel alone and had a great time. Not too many seniors. A lot of seniors on NCL. Young,family crowd on carnival. Kids and teens felt at home on Carnival. On NCL guests not friendly to kids and teens.

Photos They were very nice and not pushy. I purchased 4 photos and three sets of wallets and a few frames and key chains. They did a great job. Dress up photo night very nice. Dress on this ship more formal than NCL. We all got dressed up every night. I liked it.

Pools- Canada was 60 degrees so did not use pools. My son used the Lido deck 9 pool the first day, it was cold and salt water so he went once. We did not use the water slides or other pools.

Clothing- Bring a jacket and jeans and sweatpants to sleep in.

Food Review: The type of food was from the Gourmet food society “Chained Des Rotisseries” food in dining rooms. Food quality was the top quality like Outback steakhouse. Service was top.Best- Red Sail Best buffet, burrito bar, pizza, Mongolian wok great.

Room steward-each day he left us a new towel animal and choc. mints on pillow and Carnival Capers.

Room- I Want to buy pillows and robe.

Free stuff-gift basket shampoo and tooth paste twice. One bar of soap for three days. Free deck of cards and post card at cust. Svc. Excursion desk-always closed. Used cust. Svc. Desk. They were open 24/7 and very good.

Room location- 8355 aft. Best room yet no waves until 3rd day.

Publication Date: 08/12/10