Carnival Pride Cruise Review by grekar: Great Value Great Fun on the Pride

Compare Prices on Carnival Pride Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Great Value Great Fun on the Pride

Sail Date: June 2010
Embarkation: Baltimore

I have found great tips and reviews on cruise critic so when we booked this cruise, about a year ago, I started to read Carnival Pride reviews. They were mixed so we hoped for the best and I have to say we had a great time!

Embarking went well; we live 45 minutes from Baltimore and arrived about 12:30. We went through the process without too many issues. Once we were on the ship and going to the buffet we remembered how crazy it always is on this first day, no different than what we found on our 3 previous cruise sailings, crowded, tough to find seats and this all resolves itself in future days. Very friendly fellow cruisers; lots of Ravens fans which works great with a ship sailing out of Baltimore!

The overall decor is a little darker than previous ships we have sailed; my daughter said it reminded her of a Las Vegas version of a cruise ship. As previous reviews have said...Disney's Haunted Mansion came to mind at times. However, we also paid less than we have More for previous cruises so I was satisfied that we had good value for our money.

We had gone with a balcony guarantee to save some $$ and when our room was finally assigned learned it would be a partially obstructed view due to the lifeboats. I fault our travel agent for not making this clear but in the end it wasn't a big deal; we still had the open feeling everyone likes. Our room was very, very clean and well maintained. The cabin steward did an excellent job, too. There was a small wet bar and we used that to keep some of our own waters cold. One warning; there was only one outlet in the vanity area. The one in the bathroom would work for some razors but not the ones brought by my husband or son. Also, they cleaned our balcony one day and we lost the use of it for several hours. We were warned the evening before but did not anticipate the amount of time it would take.

We were disappointed and surprised to find that the Pride only sells canned sodas and many of them tasted stale or out of date. I would recommend bringing some of your own cans with you; I saw someone carrying a 12 pack over his shoulder as we registered to board. I was longing for a fountain diet coke by the time we returned. My husband did not like the coffee but we all liked the iced tea.

Also, the water was good at the beginning of the cruise but began to have a fishy odor at the end. I would recommend bringing some packets of crystal light or other lemonade mixes to add some flavor. Iced tea was not always available at the Mermaid Grill for lunch. The grill was very good and who can go wrong with 24 hour ice cream? The hot deli sandwiches were also good.

We found the overall food quality to be great. Of course, with seven days of meals there is going to be an occasional issue but again it was as good or better than Royal Caribbean in our opinions. We had late dining. Service wasn't great for a few days but improved by the end of the cruise.

We only went to the dining room for lunch one time and wished we had gone earlier to enjoy the change from the buffet. My husband fell in love with the Warm Chocolate Melting Cake at dinner; it reminded him of Chocolate Pudding Cake from the Culinary Institute of America.

Debarking went smoothly and ahead of schedule. We found our bags easily and no one else seemed to have any issues.

I would happily sail on the Pride again! Less

Read more Carnival Pride cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Pride Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Pride Balcony Upper

Again, why do they arrive/depart so early? As others have said, Freeport is very industrial; go to Port Lucaya! Even after the 20 minute drive to Port Lucaya most stores were not open. We swam for awhile while we waited. The taxi vans wait to fill up before taking passengers over. We were charged $5/person. Our driver Ella was very friendly and arranged to come back for us.

Expect to barter in some of the stores that are in the stalls. It was fun to wander through the straw market area and all the other stores. We had a nice lunch at Zorbas; reasonable prices and reminded me of our own Greek Village restaurants.

One unexpected treat was meeting one of the extras from the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. "Bootstrap Bill" was at a table selling his book about the Pirates of the Bahamas. It included stories about working on Pirates 2 and 3.

Read 771 Freeport Reviews

We rented golf carts from Nathan as suggested by some previous posters. He gave us a discount because we rented two. It was a fun way to see the island; we really liked the light house and read all the historical signs. The horses roamed everywhere and very little traffic. The hurricane damage from two years ago is still evident. Lots of people waved hello as we toured.

We did not eat in Margaritaville, it was easy to get on and off the ship for lunch. Lines were long to purchase items in their gift shop. One the ship they had us buy a bingo card to get a 10% coupon but they were giving these out in the shop. The beach is rocky in parts but lots of chairs and Caribbean blue water to enjoy. I think the short amount of time that the ship docks should be changed to arrive and stay later. I would recommend getting off early as we did to make the most of the short time available. Stores were all open early at this port.