Carnival Victory Cruise Review by CanadaDJ: Escaping the Winter blues

Escaping the Winter blues

Sail Date: February 2010
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

This cruise started out as another cruise for my DW and I - you know a nice romantic trip for two. As it turned out, we ended up traveling with ten of us as a family excursion - what a treat. As previous cruisers both on Princess and Norwegian we picked this carnival cruise due to its itinerary and timing. Our expectations were kinda mixed with hope - since we still had the 'party' image of Carnival. As a whole Carnival exceeded our expectations.

The embarkation was very quick with minimal delays - I am starting to think this is due in part with the way things are setup in San Juan.

The rooms were more than adequate with plenty of space for storage and tastefully decorated. Our cabin steward was allright - nothing spectacular but not bad. The staff genuinely seemed very friendly, the front desk staff impressed me with the little things - I was mailing out a postcard at each port to my grandchildren - the lovely attendant recognized this and made a point of ensuring More the postcards made it to the local post office herself. The ship itself, like many of the large sailing vessels of today was impressive and seemed to be in very good shape. There was plenty of places to find privacy and you never seemed to feel crowded at any point.

Entertainment: The entertainment on board was varied and was some of the best we have seen at sea (please do not compare their shows to Vegas - unfair comparison).

Dining: First time we have sat traditional style - but with 10 of us it was probably a better option. Our waited and his attendant were very prompt and cordial throughout our journey. The food itself was very good for the most part with a couple of minor exceptions. Anything that was not to our satisfaction was quickly exchanged - NOTE: ask your wait staff for their suggestions - they know what is good.

Activities: As on any ship there were always activities to keep you busy, however with such an intensive itinerary we did not partake in too many of them. Our nephew (14), however, was kept very busy in the evenings with the other teens. The facilities for kids was very good, and the groups were divided by age to ensure the kids had activities that were shared with like minded individuals. My nephew had a blast - he is still talking about the cruise and all his `friends`.

Excursions: We booked our excursions privately - I will discuss them further in port reviews.

Summary: Overall we had a great and memorable cruise. For the most part the staff were fantastic and they added to our experience. Carnival exceeded our initial expectations. I do not feel their dining although close was quite as good as Princess but for the itinerary and the price they would be hard to beat. We will be cruising with Carnival again in the future. Less

Read more Carnival Victory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Victory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Victory Interior Panorama

I must admit San Juan has become one of our favorite destinations. We have found the people to be very friendly and the weather always seems to co-operate. We try to have a `pre` and `post` cruise accommodations to avoid the hustle and bustle of cruise days. Our pre-cruise nights were at the Intercontinental in Ilsa Verde. Very nice hotel, with resort type grounds. The post-cruise accommodations was at the Sheraton in Old San Juan. The Sheraton is very convenient to the cruise port and is located right in the Old San Juan district. What it lacks in amenities the hotel makes up for in convenience and old world charm. One restaurant I would recommend is the Parrot Club - great mojitos.

For entertainment a round of golf followed by a visit to the Bacardi Plant - I highly recommend a visit to the Bacardi plant - take the ferry across to the other side (ferry is located just up the street from the cruise pier) then grab a cab on the other side (negotiate first). There is no admission for the plant - great tour with some free samples.

A more detailed list of ports is forthcoming in the Ports of Call pages.

Read 1358 San Juan Reviews