Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by RSP1126

Cruise Date: June 2010
Cabin Category: H
Entertainment 5+

What a Way to Have a First Cruise
First of all, we stayed at the Hyatt Pier 66 hotel the night before and 2 thumbs down for that place. The air conditioning was not functioning so we complained and it was 'fixed' but not really. We ate at the one restaurant at the pier there and the food was pretty bad and so was the service. I was very disappointed and should have just stayed at a cheaper hotel.

Anyway, we showed up at 12:15 to board the ship even though our info said to show up at 2:00 and we got on in 20 mins or so just like everyone else says you will. We headed to Central Park on deck 8 and it was packed with people but we managed to find a seat at the Park Cafe and get something to eat while waiting to get into our stateroom. Our bags didn't show up until after 5 p.m. so we had to hurry to get ready for our 6 o'clock dining experience.

First problem we encountered was we did not have an assigned table at the dining room for some reason even though we had requested to be at a table with other couples. We then were placed at a 4 person table but the other couple only showed up 2 nights so that was disappointing also. The wait staff was fabulous though so we enjoyed their company throughout the week. The food was just good most meals and great a few times.

By our second night, we hit some rough seas and boy oh boy could you feel it at the front of the ship. The bed was moving, hangars banging, doors jiggling. It was bad. Unfortunately for me, I am prone to motion sickness and I had even taken the precaution of seeing my doctor and getting a prescription for the patch you put behind your ear. I saw many, many people wearing these patches throughout the week. Problem was, there are side effects from this patch and I had all of them, including nausea, dry mouth and best of all blurred vision and dialated pupils! By Monday when I couldn't read at all I realized something was terribly wrong and had my friend read the patch info and discovered I was experiencing the side effects and it said to remove the patch immediately and see your doctor. So Monday, the ship was moving like crazy and you'd be walking down the hallway and it felt like a roller coaster. My point is, don't let anyone tell you that you won't feel a thing. We definitely did and until we docked in St. Thomas on Tuesday, it was rough going. Luckily the seas calmed and I was okay the rest of the week.

We worked out in the gym a few mornings and it is a nice facility but pretty crowded.

We did the zipline and it was fun although a little scary. I also had a great time at the Schooner Bar playing the 'Name that Michael Jackson Tune' contest. I got 24 out of 25 and won! I'm obviously a big fan. There is always something going on around the ship so you're never bored. We did some shopping and bought watches and purses for $10/each one night on the promenade.

The cruise director, Richard Spacey, is also a hoot. Funny, funny guy. He did dance sequence before the headliner show that was awesome. I'm glad I got to see that even though the headliner was not for me (Texas Tenors). The rest of the shows were all Broadway quality. I especially enjoyed 'Come Fly with Me' - excellent singing, acrobatics and do not miss this! We signed up for all the shows online a month before and you should definitely do this.

If I were to do this again, I would get a room in the middle of the ship on a lower deck to help w/the sea sickness, I wouldn't get off the ship at Nassau - just a bunch of junk there and nothing to see. St. Thomas was so-so and we basically just shopped for jewelry. We went to St. Martin (French side) and did some more shopping which was fun. Wanted to make it to the beach but the weather wasn't cooperating.

What else? Getting off the ship was a breeze and we were almost 4 hours early for our 11:55 flight back home to D.C. No worries.

Publication Date: 07/03/10