Eurodam Cruise Review by MATHA531: Baltic Cruise

Baltic Cruise

Sail Date: June 2010
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Embarkation: Dover

My first cruise. Left London on Wednesday morning at 0830 and arrive in Dover at 1100 by National Express. Driver took us to the cruise terminal (it almost seems that they all do although obviously this is unofficial). Embarcation a breeze. Porters took big bags, filled out a quick health survey, checked in and waited with a colored boarding pass till my color was called.

A bit disappointed as I had booked a guarantee hoping for an upgrade but got what I paid for. Oh well. Cabin was fine. After all, it was only for sleeping and big deal, I could watch the sea on the web cams on television if necessary.

Directed to Lido for lunch and that became my usual (when not on port excursions) lunch spot. Had it down pretty pat by the end. Breakfast in Lido, early riser, omlette station first with bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions and shrimp. Added bacon, some smoked salmon (lox to us NY people), fruit, found a sea side table picked up two orange juices, water and coffee. More Very substantial. Went up to explorer lounge to read the NY Times (I would not pay their outrageous fees for internet; NY Times was available for free). Then did whatever (port excursions or some workshops). Lunch was usually at the Lido with sushi, whatever was at the station, and salad. Surprised on last day at sea when they had shrimp cocktails and lobster tails for lunch. Dinner usually at 1830 (open seating) in main dining room. Always paired up with other couples. Food was fine, portions a bit small but service was often disgracefully slow. One night it took 2.5 hours to eat and the waiter had to come back to re-take our order for main dish. Complained abut it and got a glass of house wine out of it and then they sent chocolate cover strawberries to my room as a gesture of apology.

Did a couple of lunches in MDR when Danielle organized singler solo lunches. Got a free soda each time. Here may come a small complaint which many might laugh at. I am a coca cola person (which is one reason I did HAL and not Norwegial for this itinerary). My favorite coke drink is coke zero which by now should be standard, it's not really an out of the way drink. In any event, MDR and Lido never had coke zero forcing me to drink Diet Coke. And on several occasions, I asked for Diet Coke and was given a Coke Light. But before you tell me that Coke Light and Diet Coke are the same, they most assuredly are not. Interestingly enough all the bars had coke zero. Coke zero should be standard at all restaurants.

After dinner, did a few of the music trivia contests with the DJ Dave and saw the all the shows then it was upstairs for the late night snack. The last night they had BBQ ribs!

The illusionist sorry magician was good (not as good as Lance Burton of course) and they had this Roumainian piano/accordion player who was a hoot with an instrument he called the dracula phone. Singers and dancers were good too.

One night I remembered was the Warnemunde stop. It was an all day thingh and we got back at about 1945. That was the night of the USA/England football match which they showed on the main stage. Ran upstairs for their German meal, would have liked longer with the Oomp Pah Pah band but got to see the whole game. (Eat your hearts out England; if you had beaten the USA you wouldn't have played Germany!).

Didn't seem many people did much swimming. Weather was not great and roof was closed the whole time. Did none of the other athletic activities.

Port reviews done separately. Did somehow manage to fall and hurt myself on my private tour in St. Petersburg (my fault) and the ship doctor took xrays and said it was negative but my arm still hurts a bit and will have to see orthopedist in the next day or two.

BTW I should mention here, on the second day we were informed the stop in Stockholm was cancelled because of the impending royal wedding. They substituted Goteborg on the west coast of Sweden, gave us credits of $50 for port substitution and refunded $24 in port taxes. Disappointing but what are you going to do. Reading some other reviews, perhaps Stockholm is more trouble than its worth as they described their stop in Stockholm requiring use of tenders which I take it is not really pleasant.

Disembarking was handled great. They asked you when you wanted to get off the ship and gave you color coded baggage tags. They collected your luggage during the night and when they called your color, off you went and baggage was easy to find. Taxi to bus stop, National Express back to London and spent the week in London before heading home. Less

Read more Eurodam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Eurodam Review >>

Cabin review: Eurodam Large Interior Stateroom Navigation 5179

Was given a gift by a friend of the ship tour of the castles of North Zealand. Well as a veteran European traveler, when you've seen one castle you've seen them all but oh well, no complaints. Weather was not great but those who did their own thing in Copenhagen told us it poured.

Did a ship excursion out to a Finnish city, lunch, and then a tour of Helsinki. Fine. Saw the Rock Church. No complaints here and again it is interesting to listen to the history of the relationship between the Finns and the Russians and the statute to the Russian czar, I believe Alexander II, who was a very beloved figure and was considered too liberal by many in Russia so much so that he was assassinated! Alexander gave Finns a great deal of autonomy.

Read 334 Helsinki Reviews

Took an SPB tour...long bus ride to Berlin and an informative tour. No rain but cloudy and didn't get to see Pope's Revenge on Alexanderplatz tower!

Viktoria and SPB are great. In my two day tour, Pearls of the Baltic, we did most everything. City tour of St. Petersburg, visit to Peter and Paul fortress, Hermitage, lunch, canal ride, visit to Church of Spilled Blood, all on the first day. It was here I somehow tripped gettng off the van, broke the fall with my outstretched arm, scraped my knee (nothing) but my arm has bothered me ever since. It has gotten better but still pains me and will have to see orthopedist.

Did the folklore show that first night. Second day started with visit to Metro in St. Petersburg and then on to Tsars Village to see the Palace; unfortunately a long 1.5 hour wait in moderate rain fall but palace was great. Lunch and then on to Peterhof to see the fountains. Hydrofoil back to St. Petersburg and then stop at a souvenir shop.

A word about housekeeping. HAL made no effort to stop us from disembarking the ship even though not doing a ship excursion. Russian bureaucracy is ridiculous. Needed a landing card (HAL provided it), ticket from tour operator but they no longer require a copy of your passport. The immigration officer scanned it the first day. As I understand it, the Russian officials were most unpleasant on the return of most people and there were queues of 90 minutes to get back on the ship. I missed this as I did the folk lore show and only a few of us came back that late. The second day was a bit better but you know they do get the manifest from the cruise company in advance. Why they have to make such a production of this is beyond me; Russia you want our hard earned money, make it less difficult to disembark.

Took ship excursion. Interesting city and medieval streets and buildings. Interesting reaction of tour guide to Russian years and independence when USSR fell apart in 1991.

Read 350 Tallinn Reviews