Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by Harrisburger72: May's a little early

Compare Prices on Celebrity Summit Bermuda Cruises

May's a little early

Sail Date: May 2010
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)

This was our 3rd time on Celebrity and 2nd time to Bermuda and I'm hoping there's plenty more. We love both Celebrity and Bermuda.

We took a bus from Harrisburg, PA to Cape Liberty which was odd since there were only 6 passengers on a full sized bus. Embarkation was slow but it could have been we were anxious to get on-board. I was carrying the allowed 2 bottles of wine but saw signs in the check-in saying alcohol was not allowed etc.. I was relieved when the X-ray guys sent us over to a small table which looked at the wine and quickly waved us through.

Weather was off and on all week. Our 1st port of call was Newport RI where we had rain in the AM but sun later on. My biggest complaint in Newport was the tender ride which was the longest I'd ever experienced. The 1st attempt to get on a tender (which looked like a local) was thwarted and we ended up on one of Celebrity's boats.

The next day at sea started chilly but warmed up nicely. The wife was seasick More for the 1st time in her life, although the martini and wine the night before may have contributed. We spent most of our sea days at the pool with an occasional foray to the buffet or an on-board activity. We were very content to just hang by the pool and the activity had to be darn interesting to tear us away. We missed all the excitement others mentioned although we did notice 1 gentleman changing clothes in the middle of everything. Not a pretty sight.

We had early seating for the 1st time and although it was a bit more rushed I'm glad we went that way. We had great table mates although the shape of the table made it a little awkward. One couple at our table celebrated their 55th wedding anniversary that week. And we'll never forget our 2 new Canadian friends. Food was good to great but never quite knock your socks off.

The stage shows were fantastic. I thought the singers and dancers did a great job and was very impressed with the costume changes and production values.

I guess my biggest complaint was the Martini Bar. For some reason I always had a problem getting what I wanted. Downstairs at the Rendezvous, no problem. Getting off the ship was a little rough too. We were supposed to meet the bus home at 10. Our arrangements were to be ready at 9:30 to be called which I thought was cutting it close but what the heck. About 9:45 we just got off. We were 10 minutes late for the bus but another couple were 20 minutes late.

We had dinner the last night at the Normandy which was very nice but pricey. Hard for me to say it was worth it since the food in the MDR was pretty good too.

The dreaming about our next cruise starts immediately. Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Summit Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Summit Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Veranda Penthouse Deck (6) 9015

good location but not great, halfway down a dead-end hall, loved the convenience to Deck 10, LONG way to the MDR, forget the immediate elevators after a show in the theater, didn't have a overhang on the balcony

What can I say about Bermuda that hasn't already been said? Beautiful, friendly, easy to get around. I believe this was the 1st time we ever overnighted in a port and we still didn't take advantage. There was supposed to be a street fair in downtown Hamilton on Wednesday night that I wanted to catch but for the life of me I didn't see any ferries coming or going from King's Wharf. Maybe it was too early in the season.

They've really improved the general area of King's Wharf since we were last there 17 years ago. Almost too touristy now. The glass factory with live demos is a nice touch. There were 2 ships in port when we were there and the ferry lines were long. But they got most of the people on when they came along. Snorkel Park gives you a taste of what a Bermuda beach looks like but if you don't go to Horseshoe or one of the other fantastic beaches you're missing out. My biggest problem, even on a nice day the water's too cold in early May.

The bar (Frog and Onion??) at King's Wharf had a Cinco de Mayo party for the ship's crews which some enjoyed a little too much. I know our Ass't Waiter Antoine (not his real name) REALLY enjoyed it.

Although the weather wasn't cooperating we enjoyed Newport. The 1st tender appeared to be a local and after 15 minutes of trying to tie up, they gave up and herded us down to midship to board a Celebrity tender. Finally reaching land, we stumbled around a bit thinking we could pick up the public bus to the mansions anywhere. We were directed back to the visitor's center / bus terminal. There we picked up all day passes and some directions to a drug store to buy a curling iron since my better half had not only forgotten but left plugged in back home. The 10 minute ride to the Breaker's on Bus #17 was garbled with an occasional grunt from the bus driver about what we were passing. I shouldn't have expected more. How they tolerate us tourists is beyond me.

The bus dropped us right outside the Breaker's and we got right in after buying tix at the gate. The individual head sets were great although anybody who didn't have them and talked alot during the tour was distracting. After a nice 45 minute tour of the opulence of the Vanderbilt's we found our way to the Cliff Walk which would have been nicer in better weather. I originally had intentions of walkig most of the 6+ miles of Cliff Walk but ended up only doing about 45 minutes. The next exit was over a mile and we had seen enough. We made our way back to the street and easily caught another bus. We might have had time for another mansion but it would have been pushing it and besides, we were on a mission to purchase a curling iron.

The lines back at the dock were a little long but moved well when a tender was available.

I would recommend seeing the mansions and Cliff Walk and hope you have better weather.

Read 124 Newport Reviews

Although we didn't dock at St G's it was a 40 minute ferry ride from King's Wharf which made it uber convenient. It was our 1st visit as the last time in Bermuda we didn't make it to the far end of the islands. We caught the noon dunking which was cute but I recommend getting a viewpoint from the bridge side as they seemed to cater to that side more.

We mostly wandered around town on our own where a good map comes in handy. The one we ordered from the Bermuda website was adequate. Don't miss the unfinished church. On a sunny day it's quite photogenic. We were seriously considering the segues but it started to threaten rain so we just caught the #11 bus back to the ship. It really gave us a scenic ride back going by the airport, thru the big rock cut, stopping briefly at Hamilton and all the way back to King's Wharf. We stopped at one of the elementary schools along the way because the public buses are used as school buses at certain times of the the day. We picked up about a dozen kids and made a few extra stops on the way home. The kids were great.